Sunday, August 20, 2017

Taeyang(태양) - WHITE NIGHT Album Thoughts(K-pop)




Track List:
01. 白夜
02. WAKE ME UP 
03. DARLING
04. RIDE
05. AMAZIN`
06. 텅빈도로 (EMPTY ROAD)
07. NAKED
08. 오늘밤 (TONIGHT) (Feat. ZICO)

  Taeyang's music was a big part of my preteen years. His Hot and Solar albums still resonate with me because of the strong impact that these albums made on the Korean music industry at the time. Big Bang was ruling the charts back then too so Taeyang was in prime form with more to prove as a solo artists. After Big Bang made their mark as Kings in the Korean music world, Taeyang still continued to release solo works. I have to admit to losing  interest in Taeyang and Big Bang's musical style changes over the years. Eyes, Nose Lips, wasn't a bad song as It topped the Korean real time chart for almost four weeks three years ago. I just wasn't blown away by the sellout ballad. White Night has had a sudden release before Taeyang has to do his military service, in a time When Idol Kpop as a whole is still staler than Kimchi on a good day.


  White Night had zero expectations coming from me after watching the two music videos that were released with the album. Both tracks, Don't Wake Me Up and Darling were weak at best. Darling was written and produced by legend, Teddy Park which is apparent by the strong locked in melody. This song is a good ballad but still very weak in comparison to Teayang's older music that showcased a willingness to top each song that he sang with the next one. Good qualities about Darling are that the song is written perfectly for Taeayng's vocals. The way he hits the chorus really connects with the listener. I've grown to like Darling while Wake Me Up bothers me a little. This track doesn't build up to a point that can drive the track home. Instead it depends on the dance pop beat to further the song. Kinda similar to the rest of the album's tracklist. Teayang does great singing the song like it will lead to a big bright chorus then it doesn't…. Don't trick us veteran fans by using your pretty falsetto notes!!! The rest of White Night threw me for a loop even more. Alright, I'll admit that I had a little hope that the album contained at least one track that was for me. You know, for old time sake of what Taeyang used to be. Nope. White Night was all about YG entertainment getting that last buck before Taeyang makes his exit for three years. I'm not upset that Taeyang changed his style. I respect an artist's self expression but I don't like when an artist's music has no impact whatsoever. The bottom line is that this album is extremely weak. Please lets not base our thoughts off of fangirl or fanboy perspective of things. It doesn't matter that Taeyang is handsome, has blond hair, can dance, or is in Big Bang. My words are based sole on what I heard while listening to White Night the first time through.  My words are not to hurt Taeyang much less VIPs(I used to be a VIP way back). Think of my words as constructive criticism based on respect.


  Frustrations about White Night not being a strong enough effort made me get slightly annoyed listening to Taeyang's vocals. I've never noticed how high and squeaky his voice can be at times. I think I didn't notice before because his songs were always fire before now. Taeyang's always been a pretty good singer. He is technically lead vocalist of Big Bang after all.


  Darling was the best track on White Night in my opinion. You guys should know that I had good thoughts about Big Bang's last album. I'm just not feeling the technicality of some of the solo tracks that I've heard coming from the BB boys. G Dragon came out with a ballad that sounded like he wanted to prove that he could kind of sing. Taeyang's Darling is like another version of that song. However, Teayang's Darling sticks in the brain once you hear it a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment