Saturday, August 5, 2017

JJ Project(제이제이 프로젝트)- Verse 2 Mini Album Thoughts(Kpop)





Track List:
01. Coming Home
02. 내일, 오늘 (Tomorrow, Today) 
03. On&On
04. Icarus
05. Don`t Wanna Know
06. Find You

****Please note that there are two other tracks only for the physical CD release. ****


   No way! Has it really been five years since JJ Project debuted? It doesn't feel that long at all. Man how time flies in life. Two of the boy from idol group GOT7 decide to reunite as a duo once again for their new mini album titled Verse 2. Just to let readers know, I was a fan of these two when they first came out before GOT7. Imagine how upset I was when I found out that they were going to join a full out boyband…. I wasn't the happiest fan but I did support GOT7 when they released songs that I liked. JJ Project's existence was the start of a new era of Korean pop music for me. Bounce took Kpop songs that were out back then and flipped the whole foundation of the genre all over the place. The track sounded like nothing that was released then on top of the that, the track mixed to styles of music together. It was a fun surprise how the song switches up on listeners right when you think its just the same over used concept. This made me sort of excited when I saw that JJ Project released a new music video. I wasn't going to get too excited though because Kpop isn't like it used to be five years ago. Yesterday,Today was an alright listening experience when watching it with the MV until you realize that the track isn't really amazing by itself. The track isn't awful, just not a rebel track like Bounce was. The track sounds like a hand me down mid tempo ballad that any other male singer could sing in order to stay safe. Staying safe in the boy's musical releases means easy money for their label as JJ Project's artistry goes steadily down the drain. Verse 2 pretty much can't stop JJ Project from taking that seat in the mediocre area of Kpop glory along with a ton of other acts. I'm proud of them for writing and producing this mini album themselves but the clear goal here was pleasing the masses. I don't think that these boys really actually enjoy singing this kind of music at all. The EDM phase that's come over a lot of Kpop acts(these boys included) is also becoming staler than milk that's been in the refrigerator passed it's due date. Even attempts at stopping the album from being lackluster such as tracks like Icarcus are from another planet compared to the degree of damage done on the ground floor during the majority of the album. Don't Want To Know wasn't too bad either production wise so I conclude that the boys had a little of the same spark they had for their first single together.

  There's nothing too detailed to say about their vocals. The boys sing pretty well considering they have millions of adoring fans on top of a contract with one of South Korea's biggest music companies. Good qualities about the album are the harmony in the vocals. We talking smooth as velvet vocals that could lull anyone into seduction. That was one of the many things I liked about GOT7 back when I was fully invested in their music. Verse 2 continues to play to these two boys strengths in their ability to sing well. The tracks themselves are a different story. Except the ones I mentioned here, of course.



   Majority of GOT7 fan girls will probably love Verse 2. I don't have a doubt in my mind that they won't. I just have opinions that are not influenced by how a singer looks or how good they can dance. My post are and will always be about how much of an impact the music I listen to makes. Also, how that music makes an impact. JJ Project's comeback has some ok songs but veteran Kpop fans like myself who have left the fandom world will see the weakness in this comeback. Newer Kpop Fans should enjoy this comeback to the full extent since you don't have the experience to tell what's good and what's not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment