Monday, August 21, 2017

George Hu(胡宇威) - #Do Not Disturb Mini Album Thoughts(Mando-pop)

  George Hu is a Taiwanese actor that was born in the USA(New York). I've actually seen quite a few of his dramas over the years. Mostly by chance because I was interested in Asian drama other than Korean drama when I was younger. He's grown up into the fine entertainer that I see before my eyes today determinately. He went from not knowing how to speak Chinese at all, to speaking enough to finally have his real voice heard on his dramas. In the beginning, his voice was overdubbed by a voice actor that could speak the language fluently. It wasn't always easy for him but he's still standing. #Do Not Disturb is George Hu's second album.


Track List:
01. Shut Up and Kiss Me
02. 請不要打擾我們的愛
03. 知道
 




  #Do Not Disturb was a fun experience for me. The reason being that I didn't know that I was listening to an actor that I grew up watching kind of. I had a good laugh when I looked up his name to find out more about him. I didn't even know that he had debuted as a singer until after I listed to this album. Gosh, I'm so late to the party.. but Disturb kicks off with bubble gum pop number titled, Shut Up and Kiss Me. The track's lyrics are sung completely in English along with a clap, stop your feet beat that sounds a little elementary. This still works for Hu as his voice fits the track well and the song doesn't enter into an annoying mediocore territory. My interest was peaked enough for me to listen all the way to the end without pressing skip. Key dynamic here was that they track was catchy, plus I liked the "take charge attitude" in the lyrics. I Know(知道) was my favorite track on the album. I'm a sucker for ballads that connect with me during listening. Its not that this song is the best ballad in the world. More than that, its just to the point of having a song where the singer is singing a good melody that you can remember and sing along to. It's Such a settle song in the beginning which builds up using a full band of guitars and drums. After that track, Listeners get the chance to rock out a bit. George randomly gets loud on us all. He comes off as a singer performing music that he enjoys now. I read that he was in a band too so i'm sure this sound is influenced by that past.


  Hu's vocals are pretty boy vocals. I don't know if I have used this terminology in a previous post. [INSERT ME LAUGHING]. LOOK AT THE GUY, He's totally good looking and his high pitched voice matches his face. He can sing good enough to qualify a singer. I'll give him that. Nobody is riding off of his looks here. Not George….. There's a ton of actor turned singer type of guys in Taiwan though.


  #Do Not Disturb was a good little three track album. I'm not sure if I wanted more from him. This might have been enough music from him for right now. Don't want Mister Hu to over stay his welcome.

1 comment: