Friday, July 28, 2017

Jung Yong Hwa(정용화) - Do Disturb Mini Album Thoughts(K-pop)




Track List:
01. 여자여자해 (That Girl) (Feat. 로꼬) 
02. 딱 붙어 (Closer)
03. Password
04. Navigation
05. 대답하지 마 (Not Anymore)
06. 널 잊는 시간 속 (Lost in Time)



     CNBlue's frontman, Jung Yong Hwa has finally released his first mini album that doesn't feel like his first. He always seemed like he could hold his own even in the band's performances to me. There's a strong presence to lead in this guy's demeanor on stage that causes Do Disturb to not be a surprising release. I guess it might be surprising to fangirls who spend every waking moment breathing in the sweet old goodness of Kpop news. My mind never drifts into thinking about Kpop anymore unless its about Kpop that I'm listening to right at that moment. What did surprise me was how good the title track actually was when I gave it a listen. While being ready to click off the youtube video of 여자여자해 if the song sucked, I was surprised at how catchy the melody was. Many different musical components also are inserted into the track as it plays out. Loco as a featured artist, adds a new school Korean hip hop style to the song and even makes the original beat change to a more urban beat which doesn't halt Yong Hwa's vocal performance. The original beat that starts the song is a more pop influenced with a base guitar that is played every other beat. Then hand clapping effects were added over top of that.  After the title track ends, two tracks present a grove dance sound without much consistency to the title track's joyfulness. This sound doesn't excite me in the least. Its boring because we're in 2017. Stop recycling classic signature music styles from the USA only to not elevate what you have into a new musical experience for Korean audiences. Navigation starts to play as I begin to think this album is going to be a one hit wonder for me. I like the mid tempo of instrumental since this would still be considered a type of ballad. Piano, electric guitar, and the beat make Navigation great for those times when you're trying to "navigate" on the road during a late night drive. Not mention the lyrics are perfect if you are driving to meet your significant other. 대답하지마 can be labeled as one of those ballads an American singer would sing back in the 60s or 80s in America. The instrumental felt really retro to me even if I wasn't alive in the 80s. Ballads that were selected for Do Disturb weren't half bad actually. You know I always write about how ballads can be either dry as fuck or alive and full of moisture. Jong Hwa knew how to locate the lotion here[INSERT ME LAUGHING].


  Vocals on the album are vocals of a singer that was really open to trying new styles. CN Blue started out as a pop rock band in Japan then became a soulful pop rock band in Korea. Their last step was going electrical in their last mini album. So listeners see how well rounded of an artist Jung Yong Hwa is considering Do Disturb is the icing on the top of the cake. I liked the lyrical content of the album, taking listeners from cute to very emotional in a matter of six tracks. He sang with power and ease for life to come into those lyrics too.


  Two tracks on Do Disturb need to go away. These tracks aren't doing Kpop any favors but I enjoyed the rest of the album surprisingly. I continue to find reasons why CNBlue is one of the handful of Korean pop acts that I keep coming back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment