Monday, April 3, 2017

Peter Pan(潘裕文) - 9 Years(九年) Mini Album Thoughts(Mandopop)

Track List:
1. 空想夜車 Late Night Train
2. 九年 Nine Years
3. 不挑 Limitless

  


   Peter Pan's music used to be on my iPod some years ago until I deleted the album to make room for other music. I don't remember how that album sounded. I also don't remember the album's name. The cover had a picture of him surrounded by white clouds. Trying to learn more about Peter Pan i like pulling teeth because the internet wants to give me the classic story of Peter Pan: the fairytale..... The good this is I remembered him by name so his music couldn't have been that bad. His newest album titled 9 years has only three tracks. Short, sweet, and to the point. He looks like a singer that was either discovered by a record label or went on a music show then got discovered there. Most male mandopop singers get their music careers started this way. Its the same old story over and over again. 

   9 years could be classified as a single based on its tracklist but many artists are making their albums with just three tracks nowadays. For one thing, It makes it harder for your music to make an impression. So you have to make at least two good track for this type of album to be considered a good album. Not every artist will or can create a three track album with songs of high quality. They instead make an album that has ten tracks where five of those tracks might be filler songs and three tracks are good. Peter Pan dives right in during Late Night Train. Executing a riveting piano solo followed by sleek controlled violin playing. Then a beat drop that could sink most of his listener's hearts before he even sings a word. I can never say enough how I love artists that can make ballads interesting. Pan sings ballads created around the thought of emotion in the instrumental accompaniment. Truly in the production of the accompaniment and not just the way the singer sings a song. A ballad shouldn't have to follow the same rules that state, it has to be created one way. There's many ways to create a ballad track. Two out of three tracks display a mixture of pop and ballad sounds for a mature style that hooked me immediately. 9 Years ends with the traditional pop rock sound found on a lot of other singers albums but it shows that he can have fun and choose tracks that engage new listeners as well as please old ones. Peter Pan is one of those artists that can make a three track album that's actually good. All three tracks were full of personality. 


  Peter Pan is a another singer with a high voice. I'm talking naturally high without the need for falsetto. He has falsetto but his voice is tenor without it. I like the way he uses his voice when he sings. He's very in control of what he wants his vocal quality to convey to the listener. I think of a college student singing in this dorm room while playing piano whenever I hear Peter Pan sing. 

  I feel bad for not keeping up with Peter Pan's album releases over the years. He seems to have some stellar tracks. Why didn't anyone tell me I was missing out on good music?!

No comments:

Post a Comment