Friday, April 14, 2017

Pakho Chau(周柏豪) - One Step Closer Album Thoughts(Cantopop)

 


01. 囂 
02. How Do I Look
03. 有生一天 
04. 近在千裏 
05. 終於我們 
06. Touchscreen
07. 怒花 


   Pakho Chau's Follow album was my introduction to his music as a teenager. Lovin You was the song that was a turning point for me considering the fact that I didn't like slow songs much back then.  He made me like his music though. Fast forward over the years and I would tell you that me interest in his music has waned a little bit. Mostly because he releases music often that doesn't excite me like during the early 2000s. I listened to his Roundabout album and believe I liked what I heard but can't remember what the songs sounded like. I like the cover at least. Same instance happened with his new album, One Step Closer. The album cover got that fashion chic look going for it so I treaded lightly to listen it's contents.


   One thing I don't want to do is waste me time being disappointed in the music I chose to listen to. One Step Closer is an english title and when I see asian artists have english titles for albums, I automatically think the music is going to be good. Isn't it funny that I sound like those Japanese People who like products just because English is written on it. They don't understand the language but still love anything with english on it. I'm kind of in that club too when it comes to my east asian music. huh? Anyway, The album kicks off with a track that sounds like it could have been taken from mandorock rock singer, Jam Hsiao's discography. Less hard hitting and more pop rock though. There's a mixture of rock and electrical pop there. The structure of the song it well produced to have a strong impact in terms of catchiness and lyrical meaning. I think the spots where the guitar play under the beat are attractive. How do I look? is defiantly the dance track for this album. I don't think I've heard Pakho do a song quite like this. He enters into a new territory for his music to obtain a club pop number. Its pop but Pakho's producer chops weave different pieces of sounds that are apart of his overall sound. He doesn't let the music stray to far away from what he's comfortable with while still showcasing that he is able to produce a new sound his listeners haven't heard him do yet. Besides these two stand alone tracks, Pakho Chau goes back to his roots of acoustic guitar leading tracks. These tracks remind me of his Follow album only his vocals stability has improved. His way of singing these songs makes you feel like your being serenaded plus he's good looking. Girls, don't look at me like that. I know the deal here.... A two for one package!!!! Can't fool me.


   The female vocals that appear on the album was a great style choice. Her voice wasn't expected by me at all. So when she started singing, I was like "WHO IS SHE?". The girl that is featured in How do I look is named Shimica. I don't know much about her but she brought fire to the song with her rap and singing. Not sure if thats still her singing on the other tracks. She has a pretty voice that works well with Pakho's. Vocals for Pakho have matured in terms of control. I've also started to notice that his voice has this tender honest tone about it that's sweet.

  The big shocker is that I have seen the light. One Step Closer was surprisingly a better album than I was expecting. He's more than a handsome face folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment