Friday, April 21, 2017

Swap(错生) - Chinese Web Drama Thoughts(2016)

   Swap was a drama that was on the air waves for awhile but I had yet to watch it. I had come across the trailer once or twice and it looked to be a deep emotional drama. So many BL(Boy's Love) productions have been coming out in China despite the strong opposition against gay related media. It can be hard to keep up with every web drama and film that comes out but I try to find the ones that would appeal to me as a viewer. I didn't care for Swap the first couple of times I tried to watch it. For one thing, There was always technical difficulties like audio problems then that awful opening theme song that made me want run for the hills. My mind finally got into it's skull that I would sit down to watch this drama through to the end even if I didn't like what I saw. What I saw wasn't too bad thankfully.

  A music company CEO lives his life mourning the death of his brother. Years later he meets a mail carrier that has come to delivery him some mail. The mail carrier is a splitting image of his brother and the CEO is instantly drawn to him. This new found relationship is about to be tested by a handsome security guard, a top star with problems of her own, and villains who want to destroy the CEO and his company. The cast starts a bunch of new faces known as, Leo Yang, Lucas Yao, and Jeffery Tung and was directed by Xiao Long.



  Swap is a ten episode drama that has a shift in the plot after it's first five episodes. I would say that the first five episodes are your typical BL web drama. You get teaspoon fed due to each episode's short duration but you get fed enough to come back for more. Usually the plot uses the interaction between the two leads to forward the action. Swap seems like it had other qualities going for it though. It's fruitful cast of independent side characters and villain take a little of the spotlight off of the Boy's Love aspect. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. What I will say is that it was frustrating when you want a more in-depth look at the supposed lead couple and you get more of another couple. Things get even worse once you get to the next five episodes to complete the series. A huge plot progress happens that knocks the whole foundation of the drama on it's ass. Keep in mind that this is also Swap's charm as this has never been done in a BL drama as far as I know. During this unfortunate event, I almost stopped watching because everything that I watch for was turned upside down. On the other hand, I was interested to see how the drama would take this pitfall and run with it till the end. I don't want to give away to much since I try to keep my posts spoiler free. Swap attempts it's hand at being the first BL drama to incorporate different qualities from the LGBT community as well.




  Leo and Lucas's characters had a brothers type of relationship that was turning into much more really fast. Leo's performance as Owen is truthfully to the point. He's happy to have his brother back. Even if its not actually his brother. His brother in a new form will do. The emotional battle comes in when he starts to have feelings for this boy. So he's your brother come back from the dead then he's someone you want to kiss. He had a constant problem with his conflicting feelings. Jeffery Tung then comes along as the super handsome security guard that works at the company building. He's the sweet guy who's also a charmer without realizing the effect he has on people. I have never seen a third wheel character come on the scene and dominate like he did. He had no problems taking Lucas's character back to his apartment. I'm going leave this sentence up in the air and let your imagination run wild.[Insert me laughing] Anyway, Both Lucas and Jeffery's characters were used to being alone. One's mother left him when he was young and the other just doesn't have anyone in his life. I felt the Jeffery and Lucas's characters had more chemistry on screen than the times that Lucas's character was with Leo's character. It wasn't that these two didn't have chemistry but it felt more one sided. Like a game of push and pull where you hope to pull the person in with constant support. Lucas's character felt to me like he came out of his shell when he was with Jeffery's character and if it wasn't for certain conflicts, they might have ended up together. Jeffery is a good actor that gives off a fun positive vibe about him. He makes any character interaction and any scene feel fun.



   My biggest problem with Swap is that it doesn't spend enough time on the main couple. BL web dramas normally spend too much time on the main couple and less time on the side couples. Yep. I'm looking at you Addicted(Heroin). Might have gotten more side character development in that second season that will never come. Swap tries too hard to get every little detail into the plot. As a result, the development of the main characters suffer a bit.

  Swap isn't the best to offer in terms of BL Chinese web dramas. I don't recommend this if you think you're going to witness a BL drama as good as Heroin but this drama does bring something new to the table. Just two words: EYE CANDY!  I'll stop talking now......

No comments:

Post a Comment