Friday, March 31, 2017

CN BLUE(씨엔블루) - 7ºCN Mini Album Thoughts(K-Pop)



Track List:01. 헷갈리게 (Between Us)02. It`s You03. 끊지마 (Calling You)04. When I Was Young05. 마니또 (Manito)06. Royal Rumble




   CN BLUE got dumped along with my exit away from the Kpop scene of fandoms and keeping up with all things Kpop. I don't how but they got trapped in that big generic machine called Kpop. This caused them to have many evolutions in their sound over the last few years. I peeked in at their music a few times and wasn't impressed with where their sound had gone. They used to be those Korean boys who were in Japan singing songs in English, then they got signed to a record label in Korea. I can't believe this is their 7th mini album. Wasn't it just yesterday that I'm a Loner came out, impressing everyone in Korea because no other style like that song existed at the time? Gosh. Here's more reasons for me to feel old as hell. Thanks.



    7ºCN doesn't sound like a CN BLUE album at all. Every aspect of this mini album sounds like a record that if it was bubble gum, the sweetness would never go out of the gum. Even after chewing the gum for hours. Do they even actually play their instruments on this album?? The tracks just sound more pop orientated this time around. Long time fans might say that they sold out but I notice that CN BLUE always seems to strive to evolve their music. CN BLUE was one of the bands that really brought the Rock, Soul, and Rap style to the mainstream Kpop world. So them trying to still be trendsetters makes sense. Only it didn't work out too well for 7ºCN as this album sounds like all the other Kpop albums. I could hear them playing their instruments in some tracks such as Calling You and Between us but the production lowers the volume on their playing so that the beat can be more dominate. Between us, Its You, and When I was Young could be remix versions of other tracks. The pop remix versions of the real tracks that we may never hear. Or the DJ got to the tracks before we did and these remixed versions are the real tracks. Dance club beats for everyone! Forget rocking out! That doesn't pull in the fans like it used too.. I don't know if I can call them a rock band anymore.... It doesn't feel right to me. Congrats on your full transformation into full blown boyband guys. Whats good about this transformation is that the album is good. In a more pop mainstream kind of way. My favorite track is Royal Rumble. Love the vibe this track has with the guitar playing and dance beat. I was attached to it as soon as I heard the track during my first listen of the album.(Now, on constant repeat!) I miss old CN BLUE. Not that I don't approve of them spreading their wings. I don't keep up with them religiously anyway.

   CN Blue has two vocalists and they both sing their part respectively. Their leader also raps pretty decently. I like how the vocal parts of the two vocalists are spread out to be coordinated for them both to sound good in certain CN BLUE's songs. Sometimes the they sing together and other times one will sing then the other will sing behind whoever sang first.  The lead singer's voice is high with a raspy quality while the second singer had a deeper range. Their differences in quality of voice also aids to them creating attractive harmonies together.

  Fans of the old CN BLUE might have complaints about 7ºCN. My thoughts are based more on the production on this mini album. I do have a little issue with them going full out pop boyband randomly but its not like they suck at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment