Friday, April 7, 2017

BIS - Re: STUPiD Album Thoughts(J-Pop/Rock)

 
1. gives
2. twisted grunge
3. ミステリアスホール
4. SAY YES
5. Never Starting Song
6. NOT the END
7. ぎぶみあちょこれいと
8. ロミオの心臓
9. 明日が来るなら
10. NAKODUB


    BIS stand for brand new idol society. These group of currently five girls(used to be six but one of the members left.) stand for a new image in the Japanese female idol scene. BIS acts the exact opposite of what is expected of a girl idol group. They're crude and don't hold anything back from their fans. Pure isn't even in their vocabulary. We know some middle aged Japanese men are somewhere weeping because this group shatters all that AKB48 has created. Just in the span of BIS's debut, the girls posed nude for a magazine and did a music video of them running around naked. Their album photoshoots also range for weird to extremely creepy. I think this is what made me notice them. Never seen a idol group shoot a music video while they're covered in blood. J-pop Idol groups are really not my cup of tea(unless we taking about Arashi and a few others) but I respect anyone who goes against whats normal and stands by their actions. The group went through a breakup as well. I have to give them major props for returning to music. Re: STUPiD is their first release since the line up change.

   Re: STUPiD comes off as much more meek than their pervious albums. BIS has albums been classified as a pop rock band. It was just that you didn't hear the pop influence so much in every track.  A super sell out track appeared every now and then like the tracks they did with Little Dorothy Happy. However, I'm a fan for their hard hitting rock sound that pumps energy through the listeners veins from the first guitar strum to the last guitar rift. Tracks here are more laced with pop infectious harmony. You will actually be reminded that this group is an idol group without having to see them perform live. Can I say that their fans are just as crazy as their image. I saw some things while watching their live concert and I've never seen a Japanese audience that hyped up. Only Idol groups seem to have that effect on people in Japan. Not  even the biggest acts get people trying to climb on top of each other to see them. The most they get is a well organized clapping sequence and some cheering. Toward the end of the album displayed tracks that are more to my taste. More rock and less pop. I don't hate their newly found poppy side. Say Yes along with Gives are fun tracks to give a listen . I really like the production value of their harder rock tracks. Some tracks are produced to take the vocals and edit them to have a muffled sound then the vocals return to normal during the chorus. Going completely pop would ruin the idea of BIS's image and music for me though. Way too many groups trying to be idols like AKB48 so stick to being the odd ones out. Success will come to you when the time is right. At least their albums sell enough for them to get a decent paycheck. I want to see their album get top ten one day. Their singles have gotten top ten on the chart before.

   Most female idol groups have high pitched voices like they're little girls. When really the singer is actually twenty something. Nothing too different about BIS except that one girl has a deeper more mature voice than all the others. The vocal ranges go start at very high, kind of high, high, then a mature voice. The mature vocal can sing high and low parts making her lines stand out the most to me. I don't like high pitched voices unless I'm listening to an anime opening or its a special case such as BIS's music. A certain stigma that used to be Japanese music was that all female singer's voices are high pitched. I hate it when people who don't know what there is to know about Japanese music say statements like this. Having a high pitched voice isn't a bad attribute either but not everyone likes that kind of sound. I'm for one very thankful that Japan has singers that can provide a variety of vocality. Some middle aged men also associate that high pitched voice with a cute girl that they can do whatever they want with in their fantasies. Those security guards must have their work cut out for them. Good luck guys. Keep the girls safe.

   I never like all the tracks on BIS's albums like a lot of other artist's albums. I know it might seem like I say that a lot in my posts. You like some then you don't. Re: STUPiD gets the job done for fans but you can clearly see that their label is trying to make them appeal more to the masses by changing their sound a little. Make sure to keep the part of their artistry that makes them unique. If that goes, I go too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment