Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Eclipse(커터) Korean Film Thoughts








   Here's another Korean film that was on my to watch list but I was afraid that my money would go to waste.. The trailer paints the picture of a crime thriller where a boy becomes friends with another boy who might be a serial killer. The title in Hangul is also literally the english word cutter, so this adds to the perception that this film will have viewers playing around in the dark corners of a killer's mind. You instead get a pretty slow moving film about teenage life that doesn't fit in with the norm. While the characters are violent and rebellious, Its not to the extreme that you consider them any more crazy than other kids who act out in school. What makes Eclipse's characters the most disturbing was what the two friends did during their past time when school wasn't in session. I just don't understand going along with something even when you know what your doing is wrong. No money is good enough that you would have to hurt another person like that. I wonder what the characters would do if they had daughters that was treated the way they treated some of the victims i. I'm sure they could come after the perpetrator with a switchblade and lemon juice to pour in the wounds. On the surface, Eclipse is your typical teenage drama that deals with bullying and jealousy then crime after dark. I fell asleep a few times while watching Eclipse because it was really late when I pop it in my DVD player. Each time I would fall asleep and wake up, the plot of the film didn't seem to progress very much. My expectation for this film came from the trailer giving me a version of the film that doesn't actually exist. I though the film would start and the storyline would heat up right away. The heat doesn't happen instantly however you get a luke warm presentation of events that unfold. By the time they unfold, You don't care anymore since the film's plot dragged you through a constant song and dance giving hints that something major will happen to evolve the dynamic of the plot.  I got the big picture about the causes behind teenage violence but people don't need this film to explain that to them though. We know the causes behind teenage voices already. What would have helped this film be more relatable would have been taking what people already know and building on that. Take us to a place that we have never been before on this particular issue. The best part of this film was it's conclusion. A very powerful hard hitting realization that descends on the viewer as well as the characters in the film. I wish Eclipse took this play on emotion to the full extent during it's entirety.



   The two main actors did a good enough job in their roles. Their acting defiantly makes you think of an older brother and a younger brother who rely on each other. Of course,  This situation was "friends" who met in school. One controls the other to come when he calls and to do what he wants. Their whole relationship was emotionally draining to watch. No wonder my brain kept shutting down. I'm trying to blame it on lack of sleep but I think we know the real reason why. The lesson to take from this film is learning how to tell who your real friends are. People who smile in your face or help you out when it benefits them are not your friends. Real friends are there in times of need because they want to be. Now, a bond was formed between the two characters just not without issues. Calling this bond friendship is a stretch for me. Communication is a necessary factor in human relationships too. Words can do wonders for making a bad situation better. That huge conflict in Eclipse could have been avoided if they had expressed their feelings to each other more.




  Eclipse was directed by Jung Hee Sung. Choi Tae Joon and Kim Shi Hoo star as the two main characters in the teen crime drama influenced film. I didn't like this film as much as I though I would. Not because it was sad but because the plot development was boring. I truly want to find reasons to like this film so I will be watching it again. I spent my money on the DVD so I better watch this again..... Check this film out if you want. Just don't blame me for any upsetting experiences you may have. At lest the eye candy is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment