Saturday, March 11, 2017

Hsiao Hung Jen(蕭閎仁)- Don't Doubt Yourself(別懷疑自己) Album Thoughts(Mandopop)


Track
1.一條龍生活
2.你最在乎的事
3.別懷疑自己
4.媽,你煮的尚好吃
5.香蕉地球
6.我在

 


   Hsiao Hung Jen was another mandopop artist that I found through youtube years ago. I can't remember the exact time and I'm awful at math but the experience was beautiful. At that time, he had released his second or third album. What draws me to Hsiao's music is his constant act of being weird or down right outlandish. This doesn't stop him from proving to people why he has a record contract. Its for his voice as well as his ability to be charming then strange lyrically. Don't Doubt Yourself is the first mini album by Hsiao Hung Jen that I've listen to.

   My favorite track from Hsiao's discography is titled His name is fuck. Don't ask me about the song title but I love this song to bits. They lyrics are funny for people who live in a situation where they just want to tell the people bothering them to fuck off. Please do excuse my language but this post calls for it. I have yet to find a Hsiao song as good as this song. In terms of catchiness or vocal foundation. I have liked other songs he released after His name is Fuck but none of them really stick with me like this song. Over the years, I feel that I've been losing more and more interest in Hsiao Hung Jen's music. Not because he's not talented but because the spark isn't there like is use to be. Out of respect, I do still check for new material from him. Don't Doubt Yourself is Hsiao Hung Jen back to being a jack in the box that can pop up in your face at any given moment. The theme of this album focuses on rock, ballad, Jazz, and whatever else this crazy guy comes up with. One track plays out one  kind of way then changes tempo at the middle of the song. His also loves to talk in this songs for a direct effect on the listener. Some strange thing were going on in this album. A track would be rock then he would throw some Jazz in there. Or the track would be Jazz and he add some electric guitars. Even random sequences of background singers would vocalize at weird parts of a song. I think he likes many styles of music and just wanted to but them together. Kind of like you got to an all you can eat restaurant and see different kinds of food that makes it hard for you to choose because you like all of them. So you but a little of each food on your plate or plates.... Ok. Maybe I'm the only one who gets more than one plate. DON'T JUDGE ME! Anyway, The ballads are a break away from the shenanigans that brings Alien Hsiao back down to earth. I love how his lyrics speak to normal people in the world that go through everyday issues. Its not that glamorous fake type lyrics of soap opera love issues but a guy singing about things that relate to him. As he is just like the people who are listening to his music. Sometimes I feel like music isn't about really connecting to your listeners anymore. The industry is more about who looks the best and what song can we give this artist to sell a lot of albums. Good thing we still have artists that are not afraid of being creative regardless of album sales.

   Hsiao has a range of vocal ability on him. I believe this is a huge reason why he likes to do different styles of music. He can sing Jazz and soul. Even though i'm not a fan of his vocal runs. They don't sound natural to me. Its like he's trying to hard to sound different. The range to vocalize vocal runs is there though. I've heard him sing the the hell out of more than a few of his songs. When he gets into it and lets go, nobody can't tell this boy nothing.

  I have to give this album a few more listens before I find that solid ground that I want to have with this album. Don't Doubt Yourself wasn't bad but it's what I expect him to come out with. Nothing still has topped the album that first introduced me to Hsiao Hung Jen.


No comments:

Post a Comment