Thursday, March 9, 2017

Goose house(グースハウス) - Phrase #15 Heptagon Album Thoughts(J-pop)


CD Tracklist
  1. Bokura Dake no Toushindai (僕らだけの等身大)
  2. Fly High, So High
  3. You
  4. Koi no Ame (恋と雨; Rain of Love)
  5. MUSIC ~Namida no Niji~ (MUSIC~涙の虹~; Rainbow of Tears)
  6. ALL MY LOVE
  7. Kimi ni Hakushu wo (君に拍手を; I Applaud You)
  8. Warui Ousama no Ohanashi (悪い王様のお話; The Story of a Bad King)
  9. Ano Hi no Uta (あの日の歌; Song of That Day)
  10. LOVE&LIFE      
 


   Goose House originally started as a group of girls and guys who came together in a studio to sing. The studio they used to play music in was known as Goose House so these musicians decided to name themselves after the place that brought them together. They started a youtube channel making cover videos of popular Japanese songs. Soon they shot to fame with videos gaining millions of views on youtube. Goose House is the first band i've seen in awhile that has female and male members. They total in a number of seven members and all of them write and produce Goose House's music. 



  The anime called Your Lie In April exposed me to Goose house. I was very interested in who was singing the opening theme song because a mixture of male and female voices could be heard. I know other groups with both sexes exist but not a lot of them are prominent. AAA is probably one of the most popular choices I can think of at the moment so finding another group at the time that had boy girl vocals was exciting. I immediately looked up more information on Goose House only to find that I had watched some of their videos on youtube. Japan knows these guys from youtube and they get a lot of views from different places worldwide but their sales are just alright. Recently, they had a top ten single which I was applauding them for. It just that their albums have yet to make the top ten on the Oricon Charts. Heptagon and many of the albums before this one were super syrupy sweet in happiness. Along with feel good lyrics that could make anyone having a bad day smile. Japan loves this type of stuff but not everyone seems to be biting on the bait. I for one, Like maybe, three songs for each album of theirs I listen to. There's not doubt that these young ladies and gentlemen are talented but their songs feel to preschool for me. Tracks have a sweet bubble gum punch that doesn't completely resonate with me as a twenty something year old. Whats even funnier is that I'm in the same age range as most of the members of goose house. I just can't enjoy songs that feel more like a gateway to more sales than just naturally having a place on the album. Sales are important but selling out doesn't always guarantee that your sales will improve. Sometimes performing what speaks to you will ignite a fire in others who hear you. Honesty is always the best medicine. I felt like I was listening to the version of high school musical who took a trip to Japan and got lost there. Even saying this, I do love tracks like Love&Life, 僕らだけの等身大, ALL MY LOVE, and Fly High, So High. Love&Life is the most honest and laid back that I've seen Goose House get. I'm sad that Japan didn't show this single more love. The chorus has this mellow vibe while also hitting all the right places vocally. I love the little vocal ad-libs they do toward the end of the song. THIS IS THE GOOSE HOUSE I WANT TO SEE MORE OF! They all seemed to be having so much fun singing this track which was good. ALL MY LOVE is my favorite track on this album hands down. Someone decided to throw some DU-OP then a little Jazz to mix them both together for a super fast up beat song thats off the chain. The instrumental of this track got the drums, guitar, and piano flying all over the place. Defiantly, the piano developed a mind of its own. All the instruments come together on the beat  then separate from each other at other times. 

  The male vocalist who leads All MY LOVE needs to sing solo more often. He has a strong voice that the group needs to put front and center more often. I feel the females lead this group more because they outnumber the boys by one. Learning the utilize what voice will go well with what song is another thing that they will have to continue to get better at. They sound good together when it comes to group harmonies but more improvement could be had. I know as they keep singing together they will learn even more about each others strengths and weaknesses. Back to the male vocalist who sings mostly in All MY LOVE, He sings great for the most part but his falsetto notes have too much air in them when he goes to hit them. This is probably a throat issue. He could be reaching for that note with his throat instead of singing from his diaphragm. Nothing some vocal exercises can't fix. 

  Goose House is like your favorite food that you love then get sick off because you have too much of it. I like them but I don't like having too much of their music in front of me at one time. Continue to grow you guys. I'll be coming back to watch your growth every now and then. 


No comments:

Post a Comment