Saturday, March 25, 2017

GOT7(갓세븐)- FLIGHT LOG: ARRIVAL Mini Album Thoughts(Kpop)

 
Track List:
01. Never Ever 
02. Shopping Mall
03. Paradise
04. Sign
05. Go Higher
06. Q
07. 양심없이
08. OUT

   GOT7 is a group that I like a couple of songs from even though I don't seek out Kpop like I used to. When they come out with something new, a place in my heart wants to check out how the album sounds. Another part of me doesn't want to be bothered because I know how stale Kpop has become over the last few years. Every Kpop group is a cut out copy of one another with some groups having a good song once and awhile. Flight LOG is a series of mini albums that GOT7 has released. The last album was titled departure while this album is titled arrival. J.Y.P, CEO/producer of JYP entertainment jumps back in the driver seat to produce this album and the boys tried their hand at writing most of the album's lyrics. The title track called Never Ever sounded messy to me. It was a lot of beats going on in the background but these beats could come together to be a solid sound. I understood the beat's dynamics in the parts leading up to the chorus then all hell broke lose and I couldn't get my hands on where this song was trying to go. This was probably an attempt on J.Y.P's part to be different yet appealing to GOT7's huge fanbase. Never Ever didn't achieve either goal for me. Nothing wrong with trying though... I tried to listen to this song to the end but ended up skipped to the next track after the chorus played one time. Paradise uses that same beat that Justin Bieber used in one of his recent releases. I really wish that Korea wouldn't recycle certain aspects of American music.(Even if Kpop itself is a copy of western music only in Korean with some changes.) Music that heavily relies on being played in a club is not appealing to everyone. I say this time and time again in my posts, I hate songs that contain sequences of a beat playing by itself with no vocals.  I know its suppose to be catchy and it works sometimes but you have to be creative with it so it brings out your artistry. Not have it make your music lazy because your hoping that it will reach club hoppers or can be played in the club. Arrival has a lot of skip worthy songs that might overshadow the gems hidden in this album. Sign is a smooth RnB ballad that revisits the style of music that took GOT7 to stardom. Its a real stripped down song that doesn't take much to be a great track. The boys worked their magic here. Go Higher is another club hopper song that makes more sense than Paradise in my opinion. Whatever rapping ability they have comes out more naturally on this track. The mood here is fun, yet bold and to the point. I liked the message of perseverance that Go Higher brings to the album too.


   GOT7 is good at what they do. I don't have much to say about their vocals because they fall into the same stereotype as most Kpop boybands. The guy with the deep voice has an attractive quality for rapping. Many other boybands have a deep voiced rapper too though. Thats not even original anymore.

   I always like maybe two or three songs out of the whole album that GOT7 releases. This is a success to me. I could have not liked any of the tracks.... Fly was a great title track from the album Departure but can't say the same thing for Never Ever. I hope that all their fans like this album. I'm sure they will, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment