Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Lee Ki Kwang(Highlight)이기광 - One Mini Album Thoughts(K-pop)

Track List:
01. What You Like
02. One
03. 오해해
04. 꿈 (Feat. 승연 (Luizy))
05. Look at Me Now
06. Trick (Feat. 릴보이)
07. Only U





    I used to be a HUGE fan of B2ST many years ago. B2ST isn't even known as that anymore because the remaining members changed their name to Highlight. Some members left after I stopped really listening to the group. My reasons for stepping away from Highlight's music has to do with Lee Ki Kwang's past actions performing blackface on a Korean comedy show. That was all I needed to stop feeling the strong love that I had toward those boys for such a long time. I'm not "a hold on to a grudge type" of person but I didn't care for his ignorant apology. So here I am giving Lee Ki Kwang's second mini album a chance. If you didn't know, He was a solo artist under the stage name AJ back in the day. Two of his debut songs were my jams once upon a time. 


  One might has well be a continuation of AJ's career before he was placed in Highlight. Its an RnB mixed with hiphop album. The album starts with the title track called What You Like. this track was the reason I gave this album a listen. I liked the song's similarity to Kwang's old song, Dancing Shoes. It's a track that focuses on catchy melodies and urban beats to get listeners into the music. The rest of the album doesn't keep my interest though. My reasons ranged from tracks that lacked spark to a bigger problem.  As I listened to the album,  Kwang reminded me of why his solo career flopped so quickly. Lets take away his looks, dancing, abs, and group members. He's not a strong vocalist when you take away all the extra features. Which leads to the main reason why he was put in a group with boys who have stronger voices than his own. Kwang can sing good enough if the songs don't require outstanding vocal performance though. I'm not taking away the career that he has built but I don't forgive him for making fun of my race either. I don't believe he's racist at all truthfully. Just closed minded in my opinion. Maybe instead of making black people the butt of the joke for your own race(Koreans), You could go and work on your vocals more. Food for thought.


   Releasing a Lee Ki Kwang solo album was a safe move at the moment. Highlight has made enough money to compensate if this album flops. I respect his ability to be successful even though he's not the best at what he does to me. I'll also never watch him act for obvious reasons but best of luck to him in the future.  No hate here for Ki Kwang. Only disappointment along with awareness. Has he become more open minded over the past few years? Black kpop fans can wonder…… You won't find me losing sleep over him or wasting my life wondering if he is educated about the race's culture that he took the core foundation of his music from. I canceled my support for him long ago. This post is a privilege, not agreement to what he has done.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment