Tuesday, September 26, 2017

BOBBY(바비)- LOVE AND FALL Album Thoughts(K-pop)

 
Track List:
01. 사랑해 (I LOVE YOU) *Title
02. RUNAWAY
03. 다른 세상 사람
04. 텐데
05. UP (Feat. MINO)
06. SECRET (Feat. DK, KATIE)
07. IN LOVE
08. 수영해
09. FIREWORK
10. 내게 기대


 


   I wouldn't recognize Bobby if you pointed his picture out in an advertisement on the street. I'm not a big fans of Ikon and forgot about them until listening till checking out this guy's music. Ikon probably won't be in my iTunes any time soon but I do like Winner quite a bit. Bobby was the youngest "winner"(hehe) of South Korean rap competition Show Me The Money before joining Ikon. He just released his solo album Love And Fall after a year long break on solo activities and in the mist of YG Entertainment's scandal with their merchandise.


   Bobby's approach to his music caught my attention. He doesn't have a traditional way to singing and rapping that fits in with the norm of Kpop music. I was actually a little conflicted labeling this post as Idol Kpop. Bobby is a Korean Pop Idol that infuses indie with what is deemed mainstream music in Korea respectively. Love and Fall's song selection is composed of rap infused RnB swagger. I Love You's instrumental production puts me in mind of the song Winner released called Island(I didn't care of this song). Both songs consist of that tropical sounding pop beat influenced by music from the Caribbean. Bobby's style doesn't naturally work with this type of music. He makes it work for him like trying on new sneakers though. Runaway also seems to come from a more pop realm thats day and night when inserting Bobby into the equation. Producers at YG entertainment always try to create music that they think will make them quick cash. The title tracks on the album are cash cow tracks. Bobby at least makes the most of what he has by performing the tracks at the highest peak of confidence. I liked a couple of tracks that leaned toward a more Indie sound. when Bobby is making music based off his hip hop inspiration, he puts out really lit tracks perfect for people to come together to bust a move. Love and Fall as a whole is a little messy to me however. I think Bobby tried too hard to prove himself instead of letting the music flow naturally. One minute the album sounds like Kpop then there's a random rap collaboration with Mino from Winner that might make a good demo but shouldn't have made the final cut for the album. Bobby's sing rapping was where the gems in the album where created. I enjoyed all the tracks that didn't have an English title excluding I Love You and Runaway[INSERT ME LAUGHING]. Kind of funny coming from me as a nonkorean. Producers should have focused on this one style to me. I Love You and Runaway worked out unlike some of the other tracks that mess up the consistency of Love and Fall to me.


  Bobby's raspy voice got me here typing this post. I wouldn't have given him the time of day had I not heard his voice. Its life itself for me because his voice doesn't fit the norm. You still catch him singing despite  that. Bobby is like the male version of Singer/Rapper Jessi. She has a harsh raspy vocal too. Rapping Wise, Bobby is good. Just not different. There's too many deep raspy male rappers out in the Korean rap genre. Especially among idol boy groups.

   Love and Fall was alright. I'm going to keep listening to the tracks I liked the most. Ikonics must be proud of him. I'm proud too but my thoughts are my thoughts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment