Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Sky On Fire(冲天火) Chinese Film Thought(2016)

 




   First, I would like to state that I read tons of bad reviews about Sky On Fire. These reviews led me to believe that the film was a high action special effect hot mess of a film. I became especially nervous because I had bought the blu-ray on my birthday out of curiosity for Daniel Wu's new film. Good thing I don't read nor believe film reviews too often. Sky On Fire is no way a perfect Hong Kong based film BUT Its a few steps back in the right direction for Hong Kong cinema. Reviewers say that the film;s script doesn't make any sense. Since this was a common complaint, I made sure to pay attention to the consistency of the plot's foundation. Remember our film script's best friends; Who, What, Where, When, and Why? Were these questions answered by Sky On Fire's script? The answer to the question is honestly, Yes. The manner in which the plot decides to present the answers to these questions was kinda of a bumpy ride. A plot about a big hospital that found the cure for cancer and a brother who wants to save his sister from the disease but doesn't have the means oddly comes together. I can understand why a ton of mainstream white reviewers wouldn't hesitate to give this film a bad review. It can't be helped with all the god awful films that have been coming out of Hong Kong over the years. I also think that the film has certain symbolism that doesn't translate over to a foreign audience well. Only Chinese people or people who speak Mandarin would understand. You almost want to give up on watching films from there completely. Heck, I pretty much did unless you want to count the little peak ins I do every once in awhile. Mainland China is actually creating better films and they sometimes don't have half the budget that Hong Kong film creators have to make films. Sky On Fire does attempt to prove that it's plot is different from the past films that came out last year such as Saving Mr. Wu. Its an action heavy script that at least takes the time to have a substantial storyline. The pieces to make sense of the full picture of this plot are there. Viewers just have to pay attention to what is shown to them. There was only one scene that I didn't understand out of the whole film and that might be solved if I decide to watch Sky On Fire again. Other than that, The plot was pretty clear to understand for me. I actually kept watching for the story and the characters honestly. I'm an action with substance kind of guy like I repeatedly mention in my other posts. Got to bring me a good story for me to be impressed with the action scenes. I won't even get as far as the action sequences if the plot's not up to par.



  I haven't seen Daniel Wu in a Hong Kong film in a long time. Most audiences should be familiar with Wu thanks to his hit AMC series; Into The Badlands. In Sky On Fire, Wu plays man who works at the famous Sky One: A hospital built like a huge tower. His character is stricken by the lost of a loved one in his life. He then decides to dedication his life to protecting the stem cell research at Sky One. Joseph Chang  plays the brother of a girl who gets cancer and needs treatment. He will do anything to get her treated at Sky One. These two actors play polar opposites with something in common. I liked the sentimental atmosphere that the brother and sister characters had with each other.   A good part of this film is filled with emotions of revenge though. It gets even worse when you have a so called villain that has no remorse for what he did. He wouldn't stop getting his hands dirty either so people like him have to be stopped by force. The supporting cast did just what their name calls for. They supported the main plot with their own side stores that deeply affect everything that was going on.



   I couldn't tell you too much about how this film was shot. I was too into what was happening on screen to take myself out of the story. What I do remember was a a lot of overhead landscape shots of Hong Kong. Sky On Fire is a "do it without a stun double "sort of action/thriller film. The stuns aren't too advanced but the car chases make you want to grip your chair. I've always loved looking at the normal looking side of Hong Kong that has the food stalls and the family own businesses. Not that rich looking part of Hong Kong where the buildings are all packed in together…… Well, all of Hong Kong is packed in to itself. You get what I'm trying to say though.


   Ringo Lam's Sky On Fire isn't a perfect HK film but it sure is an improvement on engaging story telling at lest to me. I was happy with the overall result of the film and I might watch it again after some time has passed. Check this out if you want to see Daniel Wu's recent work outside of Into The Badlands. He has been in other films too.


No comments:

Post a Comment