Friday, June 9, 2017

Roy Kim(로이킴) - Blooming Season(개화기) Album Thoughts



Track List:
01. 이기주의보 (Egoist)
02. 예뻐서 그래
03. 문득 (Suddenly)
04. 근데 넌
05. 상상해봤니
06. Heaven (Solo Ver.)





   I'm a huge Roy Kim fan. This might be a bit of a surprise coming from a guy considering most of his fanbase are mostly female but I've been a fan since his first album. As a fan I have to be a hundred percent honest with how I feel about Kim's music currently and how I felt in the past. Roy Kim's best album for me was his very first album, Love Love Love. This album was very solid with track selections that were just the right balance of catchy and slow acoustic pop tunes. I have played this album in my car from start to finish many times because the tracklist flows together so well. After this album he has released music in an orderly fashion but I was met with a growing disappointment as I listened to each of these albums. Home and The Great Dipper had tracks on them that I liked. It just that the solid constancy as well as the fun catchiness from his debut album continues to slowly die with each release. I would never give up hope on his music completely however his music is becoming more about singing ballads than anything else. Korea has more than enough male ballad singers to last a lifetime. The best thing Kim brought to this ever so growing genre was a fun pop upbeat guitar sound along with positive lyrics. Blooming Season does try to return to a little pop flavor with its opening track that gave me hope that this album would shake the envelope a little. Instead Blooming Season gives me a couple of acoustic ballad tracks that serve his female fanbase like the lyrics were written especially to them. No wonder his fans come up to him his college trying to get pictures. You charm them almost to death Mr. Kim. Anyway, Suddenly was a mellow song that I enjoyed based on the lyrics and the melody. He takes a soft approach to this song that makes me think of Jason Mraz. Heaven is basically part two to his song, Remember Me from his last album. Love both tracks because of the random English lyrics at the chorus part.


  Roy Kim has a mature voice that doesn't fit his age. I can understand why most of his fans want him to sing ballads. His voice has a velvet quality that comes out during slower songs. I'm personally a fan of Kim when he gives his listers more variety though. His looks play a huge part in his fanbase too. A handsome face will get you farther than actual talent in South Korea at times. I get sad when I'm reminded of this fact.

  Blooming Season was an alright album. I honestly don't remember some of the tracks. I either skipped them or they just bored me. I'll wait to see if Roy Kim has it in him to experiment with his sound some more. Perhaps an alternative rock sound would be nice for the next album. Probably won't happen….

No comments:

Post a Comment