Monday, December 12, 2016

Kim Feel(김필)- from Feel Mini Album Thoughts(K-rock)






Track List:
01. 사랑 하나
02. 성북동 (Seongbukdong) *Title
03. Tell Me
04. 괴수 (Feat. 강이채, 고상지)
05. I Feel You
   I ran across Kim Feel's music just being curious about trying out new Korean music at the time. The cover of his first mini album caught my attention too just based on how it looked. He had on a hat with is covering his face and his hand holding a guitar. Wasn't sure if he was rock at the time but he seemed to be so I listened to some music videos on youtube then I listened to that album. Kim Feel is mostly know for competing on the singing competition Superstar K back in 2014. He was runner up and signed a recording contract like most people who are on that show do. Many famous artists promoted his debut album on social media by twitting and sharing his cover picture on their instagrams. From Feel is his second mini album after a steady release of digital singles and drama OST insert songs. 

 It might be a stretch to some people to call Kim rock, depending on what you consider to be rock music. Of course, there are different types of rock music like hard rock, pop rock, and acoustic rock. To some people if rock isn't hard rock then its not rock. As long as you have a guitar in your hand and playing it while a band consisting of other guitars and drums back you up then its rock music to me. You don't have to be screaming and braking guitar strings. This album comes back produced using a more dark quality of sound. Kim playing his acoustic gutter hasn't changed but from Feel brings in a classical orchestra. It gives his music that Italian style that also reminds my of Gain of Brown Eyed Girls old music before she started selling out to the cute concept. The mixture of both classical and rock fits perfectly for the subject matter of his lyrics. He seems to have had a lot of problematic relationships in the past because his lyrics are what I like to call pleading lyrics. They seem to also be asking someone for something or trying to figure out on what grounds a relationship stands. One could also call this album more on ballad rock side of things. The first two tracks are definitely more like that and they sound similar to each other in my opinion. "Tell Me" got the band playing their instruments a little harder than the first two tracks and it made me proud. You don't get a lot of rock in mainstream Korean music unless its watered down for mass consumption. Indie Korean music has a ton of rock bands though. "Monster" was the released as a digital single then rereleased with this album for a reminder of how good the song was. (an overall greatly produced song.) "I Feel You" backtracks to the soulful Kim Feel that was more apparent on his first album. I think this track is a nice surprise switch up since the other tracks are in a completely different realm.

 Vocals that come from Kim Feel match his image. Its a grubby and raspy voice thats perfect for acoustic live sessions and it brings out the emotion of his emotional lyrics.  He has a kinda of bad boy rocker image going on with the tattoos and the manly face. As a gay man who is attracted to every race, I always loved seeing Korean guys with tattoos. I'm not sure why but I'm attracted to it. Wait... I think its because I was always used to seeing East Asian men presented in one way. Nerdy: glasses, and very clean cut but different types of Asian men exist in the world.(I find nerdy attractive too. I'm nerdy to a degree.)



  From Feel has me sold with the last three tracks on the album compared to the first two tracks. I just find them boring. From a music standpoint, the whole album was very well produced and Kim Feel put his heart into each track.


1 comment:

  1. I cant stop listening to his music. I play it on loop. Heart breaking...Gut wrenching... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete