Monday, December 5, 2016

B1A4(비원에이포) - GOOD TIMING Album Thoughts(K-pop)


Track List:
01. Intro – Time
02. 거짓말이야 
03. 너에게 한 번 더 반하는 순간
04. Good Timing
05. 악몽
06. 꿈에
07. Sparkling
08. To My Star
09. 멜랑꼴리
10. 내가 널 찾을게
11. Drunk on You
12. 함께
 

  Here we are again as the non Kpop fan writes another post about an Idol Korean group. I don't like Kpop as a whole unit but I do still have a select few artists that I might give a listen every now and then.(Only because their music has impressed me in the past.) Yes, I use to be a major Kpop fan boy once upon a time but out grew the same old gimmicks that Kpop shows its fanbase over and over again. I will always RESPECT Kpop because it created groups like 2NE1, Super Junior, 2PM, and BIGBANG but I don't invest large amounts of time in it anymore. The boy band B1A4, while being apart of the newer generation compared to the groups I listed,  still manage to find their way into people's hearts once again with their brand new album titled, GOOD TIMING.



  The release of this album couldn't have come at more of a good time with 2NE1 calling it quits and other conflicts going on in this messed up world. These boys always bring a fun power house sound to listeners with their music. For awhile some of the members were either acting or promoting their own solo projects. That didn't stop the boys from coming back with a new album full of tracks that remind us why they are one of the most popular groups in Korea. GOOD TIMING made me nervous but excited. I listened to the sample preview video for the album before the album's release and was fairly surprised. The snippets  sounded good but thats doesn't mean the full album will be ear candy material. If the tracks sounded like all the other Kpop songs out right now, GOOD TIMING was going to be having a good time in the recycle bin of my laptop computer. "거짓말이야(Its a lie)" comes on first to present a more emotional themed mid-tempo track thats both beautifully sung and musically chic. Its a very boyband type of song but mature enough to enjoy without feeling like you went back in years to your high school days."악몽" is the experimental track for B1A4. They have never done a real bump and grind song before. They get the job done here though. Production for the instrumentals in this track got into my bones and had them moving like I was in a club. I had to stop before someone saw me. None needs to see me dance outside the club.... "Drunk on You" is that track that will have you singing out loud during the chorus. I'm loving this stomp beat style most of the dance tracks are composed of with this album. Even many of the ballads are kept interesting because of catchy melodies that will have you singing and maybe crying if your that kind of fan. Other kinds of music make an influential impact on GOOD TIMING's content. There's a strong Jazz/RnB style that stays constantly seasoning the outer layer of B1A4's songs too.  I was very happy that B1A4 still knows how to remain consistent with stand out music. What is a winter album anyway??? These Kpop gimmicks again..... Like the music will be any different depending on the season.

  GOOD TIMING recruits background vocals from other people besides B1A4 themselves. They might have been doing this all the time but I just noticed now because they are more apparent on this album. B1A4 should change their name to B1A-choir !!! I thought I was in a church when the track "함께" played. So many voices singing together in perfect harmony made me step back for a minute. It was the first time in a while where I listened tot a Kpop song and thought, "I LIKE THIS A LOT!". The boys sound good on their own just to put it out there. For the love of God, Sandeul vocal slays those high notes every time. I'm a little disappointed in Baro rapping wise since he appeared on SHOW ME THE MONEY and got eliminated in the first round. A lot of Idol rappers were not rappers to begin with so they get picked on by the more underground rappers.(Jealousy plays apart somewhere too because Idols get all the stardom handed to them.) Baro showed how weak of a rapper he really was when he went to audition. He has the voice to be a rapper but lacks to technique to truly run with the best Korea has to offer. B1A4's songs also don't require a tight flow for the rap parts so its easy for Baro to rap them. I'm not saying that he can't rap at all but I want him to let people know that Idol rappers with talent do exist. Baro used to be my bias in B1A4 back when I cared about that sort of thing. 


  This was a really good album. It has a strong replay value and listening to the songs is a great way to end the year. Check it out when you have the time. 

Sincerely, 

Non Kpop Fan
XOXO
  

No comments:

Post a Comment