Sunday, June 4, 2023

Dong Hyun Nam(남동현) - () Album Thoughts (K-Indie)

 




   I saw this guy's album cover and thought that he looked interesting. So, I dove into his latest releases. He really threw me for a loop as I looked at the overall package of who Dong Hyun Nam is. Koreans know him from participating on the reality Kpop idol show called Produce 101. He didn't rank very high on the show and after elimination, decided to start an indie career. 





Tracklist:
1. ( )
2. Blind (Feat. 김농밀)
3. 대저택 (Remastered)
4. Drivers License
5. 공전
6. 갈고리 선장
7. 해적이 되고 싶었던 소년
8. Blind (Inst.)
9. 대저택 (Inst.)
10. Drivers License (Inst.)
11. 공전 (Inst.)
12. 해적이 되고 싶었던 소년 (Inst.)





      Going back to what I said before, Nam's music tripped me up big time. If you look at his image, you would think that he does pop rock. Nope. You would have guessed wrong as this guy's album brings forth drive along dance pop. There's a little guitar in the production but more keyboards and synthesizers are heard the most. I wasn't ready for tracks like Diver's License to groovy bounce out of my earphones. These sound sure did their thing though. I also liked some of the more subdued tracks such as the reprised  version of 대저택. 





    Nam's vocals show why he didn't win produce 101 however, he still has a charm all his own. I think he's found his lane musically so getting to hear even more in the future would be a treat. His vocals aren't the best yet, you can't hate his singing either. Does that make sense?






No comments:

Post a Comment