Sunday, June 4, 2023

Decision to Leave(헤어질 결심) Korean Film Thoughts

 




   Decision to Leave is a 2022 South Korean Film directed by famed director Park Chan Wook and stars Park Hae-iL with Tang Wei. The film opened at the top of the South Korean box office. Then went on to be one of the top selling films that year with over 1 million tickets sold.





    A detective gets involved with the wife of a murder victim. All is not what it seems....







       Decision to Leave lets you know early on that it's an artsy film. From the detailed shots that show a character's point of view, to the attention to detail in the locations. While not one of director Park's best films, something in the overall world captivates the viewer as you slowly are taken on a dark emotional ride. Nothing that happens in this film is good for the characters or those who watch these events. Some of the art direction reminds me of Parasite but not as stable in storytelling. The lack of spark to really make things feel excited at least in my eyes; caused me to do other things as I watched.  I'm not sure what it was that stopped my from being hooked like I wanted to. It was something that just didn't happen for me. Same thing occurred when I watched Parasite. People swear that film is Korean cinema gold and I still don't agree. Decision to Leave can be appreciated for the art that it is while still not quite making the cut as a groundbreaking Korean storyteller. 







   I love how this film looks. I'm sure I can't stress enough how much I love the atmosphere. That's one of the things that Decision to Leave really has going for it. 





   A rewatch might be in my future. Maybe my opinion will change after I take everything in again. For right now though,  I wanted more than what I got. 





No comments:

Post a Comment