Saturday, April 7, 2018

MONSTA X(몬스타엑스) - THE CONNECT: DEJAVU Album Thoughts(K-pop)




    Monsta X wouldn't qualify as a rookie group anymore. Well, these boy's were rookies when I first heard about them. I didn't think too much of them. They were like the other ends amount of boy groups but one performance that I saw changed my opinion about them a little bit. Their performance of their song Drama Rama at one of those K-con events got my attention. Drama Rama is a catchy song that doesn't sound like the other Kpop boybands's releases. Monsta X also scored their first win on a music show for the song which was very emotional for them and for everyone who witnessed it. They have continued to grow from this win as they have gained a strong fanbase in Korea and Japan. The Connect: Dejavu is their newest release in a collection of mini albums.





Track List:
01. Jealousy
02. Destroyer
03. 폭우
04. 미쳤으니까
05. Lost in the Dream
06. If Only
07. Special

 

   While Monsta X did make me like the new generation of Kpop, It was only for a short time. The reason being that Dejavu made me realize again the reasons that I stopped loving Kpop hardcore. Kpop's same old musical style is tired. What I mean by tired is that they use the same old production to make songs over and over again. Tracks call upon horns(That old time Hip hop sound), base beats, and techno music to try to liven up this album but it doesn't connect to an old time Kpop fan like me. This album would be a BTS album if you took away the vocals, then remix the instrumentals. Good aspects of DEJAVU is that Jealousy isn't a song to easily skip over. Jealousy has a sixties RnB sound that stands strong following in the shadow of Drama Rama. The track isn't as good as Drama but it has enough sass to get you grabbing for the bed sheets.



   Their vocals sound like typical Kpop male idol voices. Nothing more, nothing less.  I will say that their rappers are good though. The rappers's voice indiction feels to me like they are defying someone or something. It's pretty cool to listen to the rapping because they don't come off as rappers that are trying too hard to be tuff. They rap with natural confidence.


   Fangirls won't miss a beat diving into Monsta X's new songs. My head honestly hurts right now as I type this post. I won't be so mean as to say that it's Monsta X's music but thinking about Kpop fandom does make me want to log out of life sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment