Saturday, March 24, 2018

Monogram(모노그램) - Space Travel(소행성) Mini Album Thoughts(K-indie)


Track List

  1. 꿈꾸는 다락방
  2. Space Travel 
  3. Long-D
  4. Little Girl
  5. For You

    Monogram is a group that consists of a male and female singer. A feature that is still rare in the South Korean music scene but not new to it at all. The group debuted last year with a single album that I honestly knew nothing about until now. Yep. I'm pretty honest in these post. If I don't know about certain information, I won't pretend like I know for the sake of looking like a "know it all" in my writing[INSERT ME LAUGHING.]. Space Travel is the duo's first mini album. Their music got my attention while I was on Youtube just browsing for new music to listen to.


   Space Travel could be no less than the album for easy going or relaxing music. Their music is pop for easy listening mostly. Only difference between them compared to other South Korean artists out there is that they are good at working together as a two piece team in vocals as well as producing their own music. Violins, piano, and base beat make up almost all of their instrumentals so that the combining these instruments together make an uplifting support track for vocals. I liked some tracks more than others from the album but what got me listening to them was how their music resembles another group called Clazziquai. Maybe I'm an old school Korean music listener because I don't think many new school K-music listeners will know them. However, Monogram's music reminds me of them. Clazziquai's music has more of a slight edginess though.


   The male singer's name is Kevin, I do believe, so that explains why their English lyrics are almost flawlessly written. He must be Korean American. Space Travel organizes it's tracks so that the listener can get a feel for the two singers's vocals. The last two tracks are actually solos. Both singers sound just as strong apart as they do together. And together their vocals are magic that can lull you into a place of relaxation. Music that makes it easier for a person to sit in a cafe while sipping coffee is what Monogram feels like to me also. I don't even like coffee.


   Here is a great rookie group to check out. That is if you want to get away from all the club dance groups in mainstream Kpop for a little bit. I'm interested to see how they will choose to shape their careers in the future.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment