Monday, March 12, 2018

Jung Seung Hwan(정승환) - And Spring(그리고 봄) Album Thoughts(K-ballad)



Track List:
01. 다시, 봄 (You Are My Spring)
02. 눈사람 (The Snowman) 
03. 비가 온다 (It’s Raining)
04. 변명 (Excuses)
05. 사뿐 (Shall We Walk Together?)
06. 타임라인 (Timeline)
07. 제자리 (Still Here)
08. 오뚝이 (Tumbling Doll)
09. 바람 같은 노래를 (Singing Like A Wind)
10. 이 노래가 (At The End Of The Day)



    Jung Seung Hwan was a contestant on the show, Kpop Star season 4 where he was praised by the judges for his original take on covers of other artists's songs. He didn't win that season but still got signed to a label and released his first mini album titled His Voice. This album is his first full length album from the singer.


   Well, I won't sit here and tell you that I know Jung Seung Hwan that well. I'm not the type of person to watch Korean singing shows normally. So I don't know him as far as knowing his music in-depth. Some buzz has been forming around his album though. Mostly because South Korea's "little sister" also known as IU penned Jung's title track called The Snowman. IU has hit or miss music releases to me but I will say that I like how she wrote the song. Also, can we take the time to talk about how Jung Seung Hwan is EVERYTHING?! There's not even a need to have a paragraph talking about vocals on this post. Jung's vocals on his debut are that good. He waste no chances to show why he is here, gracing listeners with his strong honest vocals. The album isn't just an ballad album. Jung touches many different genres of music including rock, pop, and, RnB. This album is an album that had me jumping out of my chair, cheering along with clapping my hands. He can defiantly sing… I'll only imagine how good he was on Kpop Star if he is this good now.  I don't care too much for the second single(Its Raining) used to promote this album. Its Raining sounds too much like a typical Korean ballad you hear everywhere in Korea. As a listener of a lot of Korean music, I look for music that can be better than what's already out there right now. And Spring uses some of the typical cliche Korean ballad traits especially since the only forgiving grace for The Snowman is those notes he hits at bridge towards the end of the song….. Well, ok. I'll admit that the song itself has a pretty melody, making it rememberable. These traits don't stop Jung from moving to the next level of music creativity though. Many of the tracks on the album remind me constantly of IU's music production. The acoustic guitar adds a sadness to lyrics about waiting for the one you love because the guitar by itself creates a lonely sound depending on how the instrument is played. Transitions to RnB or Pop music doesn't hurt his voice at all. Jung has the vocal capability to singer whatever kind of music he wants. He's following in the foot steps of other Korean legends such as Kim Bum Soo and Lee Seung Chul. Both of whom branch out to different genres of music from time to time, away from the Korean ballad formula.


   Jung Seung Hwan has my vote as one of the top singers today in Korea. He doesn't let labels define what music he should be doing. I like that a lot. I'm afraid to listen to his first mini album. That album might not be as good as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment