Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Jung Jin Woo(정진우) - In My Room(정진우 미니앨범) Mini Album Thoughts(K-Music)

Track List:
01. 집에 있을게 (With Villain)
02. B side U
03. 광신도
04. Leftover
05. Bonne nuit
    I don't watch a lot of Korean singing shows. In the future I do want to get more involved with watching Korean talk shows. You might find me watching "Unpretty Rapstar" or "Show Me The Money" sometimes but recently these shows have gotten boring to me so I distance myself. Jung Jin Woo was on the show Kpopstar which I only know because Michelle Lee was on this show a few years ago. It seems that a lot of great talent comes from KpopStar though.

  "In My Room" is this kid's first mini album and its a chance for him to pull in new fans. He also would be satisfying the people who liked him on KpopStar. I'm not sure what style he performed on the show but on the album has a RnB/Pop style. The song selection is strong with drive in your car ready hits that would make any car ride a great one. You can definitely hear the American influence with the production and choice places that autotune is used. Jin Woo and produces knew what kind of sound they wanted causing this album to not seem like a cheap knock off of another culture's experience. He could have strayed down the wrong path and come out with a heavy autotuned album talking about how he sleeps with a lot of girls and wears a lot of bling bling. However, A great love for RnB is shown along with adding a Korean take on the genre. "광신도" is such a good track that shows Jin Woo is an artist that can be original under all that thug style that "B Side u" was trying to give off. Both tracks are two sides of the same coin. I just want him to do music that speaks his feelings. Forget trying to please people with fake gimmicks. My eye roll overtime I see a Korean artist try to be thug with experiences that they have never ever had the chance to take a part of. 


   The vocals are like a mix between a young boy and a sensual RnB singer. He is still growing as a singer and thats very apparent. Thankfully, The style on this album isn't vocally challenging. Power is shown during vocal runs and falsetto notes but for the most part, Jin Woo's voice is more smooth toned and light. The fast paced vocals during "B Side U" were nice to listen to as well. Many Korean singers have this type of singing mastered like its their bible. I actually want to hear a Korean male RnB singer break this trend. Years of listening to Taeyang's songs have made my ears numb. In a good and bad way. 


 This was a great debut mini album. I want to hear more. His style will either sink or swim musically as time goes on. Solo artists tend to not get recognition in the Korean music industry unless your different, been around a while, or just got the looks to carry your career. Pure talent is a factor too but we all know looks matter a slight bit more. Jung Jin Woo better keep taping into whatever makes him unique. Those comparisons to Zion T are not alright and need to be proven wrong. (It might seem like a compliment at first but it will get annoying after awhile.)




No comments:

Post a Comment