Friday, September 9, 2016

Hebe Tien(田馥甄) - DAY BY DAY(日常) Album Thoughts(Mandopop)

  A funny thing when you think you have everything all figured out but in the end, you missed some minor detail. I've been making a lot of mistakes this week as I get back into the swing of college. Summer is over so let the torture began. I'm frowning right now but you can't see it. I don't look good when I frown. Might be a good thing that you can't see me. One of the biggest mistakes I made was over the summer when I forgot all about an amazing singer, Hebe Tien's album release. Where was I?





1."日常" (Day by Day)  2:53
2."人间烟火" (Every day is a Miracle) 4:05
3."無用" (Useless)  4:09
4."身體都知道" (Your Body Speaks)  3:57
5."念念有詞" (Beautiful Prophecy)  3:21
6."靈魂伴侶" (Soul mate)  4:40
7."餘波盪漾" (When you are gone)  4:52
8."什麼·哪裡" (What, where)  4:19
9."慢舞" (Pace your heart)  4:05
10."獨善其身" (Love yourself) 




    Hebe Tien, a member of the iconic three piece Mandopop girl group S.H.E, released her forth album titled "DAY BY DAY" back in July and I glossed over it's existence. I did get a chance to hear one of the songs from the album be fore the album's full release date but I kept thinking that the album hadn't come out yet. Actually I was looking at the album cover but the full album and the single had the exact some cover throwing me off completely. It looks like a grandma cover to be completely honest. No insult to injury ok?


  "DAY BY DAY" is following an album like "Insignificance" that had everything slick and solid so that nobody could tell Miss Hebe anything about her music. "Insignificance" was an all out damn good album. Enough said. This fact caused me to not only be excited for her next release but also expect another amazing album. A voice in the back of my mind was secretly whispering to me and telling me there wouldn't be a repeat of "Insignificance because I didn't like the boring ballad she released post the "DAY BY DAY"album but I still like to hold out hope. The album tracks sadly proved the voice in the back of my head correct. Hebe comes at her listeners with a watered down used generic pop sound that can't be used anymore by all the other female mandopop vocalists. Good thing is her voice fits that style perfectly as she's full of cute vibes thats sure to sell just because who doesn't like cuteness in East Asia? She also tries to play around with the dynamics of the song melody so that its at least kind of catchy. I'm just not sold on this new Hebe. "無用"(Useless) was the only song that could have made the cut for her last album and even this track was more lack luster than what i'm use to from her. Next lets throw in a lot of boring ballads that may have great lyrics about love and other issues but are in no way rememberable to say the least. Great production value is still there even for this album. The instrumental  beats could easily been produced by a DJ sitting at the turn table and other production feels so smooth like this album was meant to be. Hebe Tien's music is like relax music that will lull you into sleep. One more thing I had a problem with was how some tracks ended so suddenly. Sometimes it was when the song was elevated and other times the song would just end leaving much to be desired. Whats going on here??



    Vocals are Hebe Tien's best quality about her as an artists. Certain artists are know for their presence such as dancing or their looks while Hebe is over here singing so high that all the glasses in your house shattered all to pieces. Thats right, this girl is celebrated for her high beautiful voice that can sing a various of genres of music. She's most notable for performing Jazz, Rock, and Pop. All the elements that were missing from this album... well.... pop ballad held its own full force for "DAY BY DAY". Good thing nothing happen to her voice. Hebe sings with about the same energy on all her albums. Whats a shame is that the songs she singing don't have the right flavor to do their part in making this album as good as it could have been. Ballad that contain vocal jems like "餘波盪漾"(When Your Gone) are Hebe's talent showcase moments. You don't find many female vocalists who can go up into a high range without sounding like a dead cat that just got run over by an on coming car but Hebe has got the ability. Vocals on this album can go up there and come back down varying different ranges while keeping complete control over the tone of her vocalization. Another fantastic feat about Hebe Tien's voice is her tone. She can be borderline seductive when she sings in her lower register then emotional with her mid high range. I wish "DAY BY DAY" would have taken more advantage of these qualities. Too bad really.


    "DAY BY DAY" makes it seem like Hebe Tien is entering her golden years with no more good quality music to give. She's not old but that album cover could have been more eye catching than that. The album down right wasn't good to me. You guys know how I am. I will still tell you to listen to the album to form your own opinions but I wont be listening to this album again. On to the next album Hebe, and lets  hope you get yourself together by then. MUCH LOVE XOXOXO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment