Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Clazziquai(클래지콰이) Travellers Album Thoughts(K-indie)클래지콰이 프로젝트



Tracklist:
1. Travellers (inst.)
2. Dangerous
3. #Curious
4. Sweet life
5. Speak of life
6. Make up break up
7. Night flight
8. Sleeples night
9. Sweety Fruity Jelly
10. Aurora
     Seoul South Korea based Indie electronica group Clazziquai is back after two years break. The group consists of Alex, Horan, and DJ Clazzi as the producer behind the sound board. I'm guessing these boys and girl kept busy while they were  away from music as Alex and Horan have babbled in every other area of entertainment under the sun. Clazziquai rose to fame after doing two songs, "Be My Love" and "She is" for the mega popular 2004 Korean drama hit, "My Name Is Kim Sam-Soon". I suggest you go watch this drama if you consider yourself a Korean drama fan. You won't regret it. These songs are probably their most popular to date but Alex and Horan didn't stop there. Alex took this chance to stick his foot into acting appearing in a handful of dramas as well as Korean talk shows. He also released a solo album that was one of my absolute favorites growing up. While Alex also showed a love from cooking, Horan also started making moves by appearing in a few dramas and hosting her own radio show. She and Alex both have done several songs for dramas solo and together. DJ Clazzi also released a solo album featuring many different artists from Idols to indie artists. Horan finally had a her own solo mini album last year which wasn't to my liking but I was proud of her. "Travellers" is Clazziquai's eight album to date.


  I know what Clazziquai is about without really knowing what to expect when listening to their music. If that makes sense.... ok.. IT DOESNT!  They have shown on numerous occasions that they have the ability to shift their music style to a fresh new vide while still keeping that indie electronic sound as the music's core base. Traveller's lands right in the middle of spectrum. A almost there but not quite when it comes to the Clazziquai from the early 2000s. It seems like DJ Clazzi was going for a more soft sound that would relax listeners and make them think about that four letter word L-O-V-E. Songs like "Dangerous" give us that strong flowing eighties style layered with mid tempo precisely placed beats.  DJ Clazzi is one of the best DJ on the Korean club scene and he proves this to us time and time again. This man knows how to make a turntable sing. His edit ad-libs with the music and Clazziquai's vocals are what made their music so groundbreaking. I remember when I took a day to watch all their music videos and having a thought that this group is showcasing a style that is the beginning of an era. I love their wild dance fiasco days but they don't seem apparent on "Traveller" Most of the trackless is very tame to say the least. "Curious"  is the only track that reminds me of the energy filled sound they use to have and this song is still kind of tame. A part of me is a little disappointed but the other part of my loves certain parts of the album. This tame new style is just so comforting and comes forth more strongly in the second part of the album. "Speak of Love" and "Aurora" are the two best slower numbers of the album. Alex and Horan's hormones make any song perfect. 



  Alex has always been the leader of Clazziquai to me because his vocals take the lead but people might say that DJ Clazzi is the leader because he makes that music. Horan is that equivalent of a backup singer but her voice is good enough to sing alone. I'm so thirsty for a new Alex solo album. Its been years and a OST digital single is not enough. "Traveller's" gave me a momental satisfier with his vocals smooth like a warm lump of butter placed on a stack of pancakes that slides off the moment the syrup hits the pancakes. Horan's vocals are like the sweet syrup that melts the butter on the pancakes. Alex has a voice with a tone thats so good that he can make a listener feel. He could only sing with a singer that has just as good of a tonal quality such as Horan or Ji-sun( former lead singer of band Loveholic soon to go solo. She's Clazziquai's label mate.) Horan's voice seems to be destined to be heard along side Alex. The puzzle pieces fit perfectly! I don't know to what extent that I would listen to Horan sing alone though. I have enjoyed some of her solos in the past however she doesn't stretch her vocal range like Alex does when singing alone. 


  "Traveller" makes me have my hand halfway off the fence while the rest of my body is hanging in the breeze. I love about five of the ten tracks just because of catchy hooks. Vocals on the album as a solid ten if I was giving a rating. The overall style just isn't the same Clazziquai that used crazy DJ edits and constant catchy hooks that got stuck in your head for days going forward. I hate to say this but it feel like they are getting older and their music is losing momentum along with time. Not to say I will ever stop listening to them. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment