Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Most Difficult Romance(世界一難しい恋) Japanese Drama Thoughts

     









     I just so happened to run across this drama starring Satoshi Ohno and new found popular actress Haru called "The Most Difficult Romance". Mind you, I had no idea what this drama was about only that Ohno was starring in this drama. I'm a long time Arashi fan and I try to make the effort to watch their dramas. in fact, they are the only Johnny's entertainment group that I still give the time of day since they still make decent music. Lets dive a little into this romantic comedy(?).


    The plot is about a owner of a huge hotel business with a hell of attitude that makes his employees fear the very ground that he walks on. Then in comes a new female employee that has a strong will and determination makes the hotel owner's heart start to stir.


   This drama was like taking cold medicine. You know you have to take it to make you feel better but you don't want to deal with that awful aftertaste. Still you bear it and take the cold medicine in the end.  I had to force myself to watch this drama to the end not because the drama was bad but because the plot was too plain. Ohno's name being involved is enough to make the viewer rating shoot sky high but the plot isn't appealing enough to give me excited feelings when I'm about to watch another episode. Instead watching felt like a daily duty that you just want to get done with.


   "The Most Difficult Romance" had certain good qualities about it which includes that light hearted acting from the whole cast. Ohno can't get any more lovable here even as a spoiled rich man that has a huge wake up call thanks to love. That drama never misses a beat since Ohno is always full of energy whether he is having a temper tantrum or he is trying to sort out his feelings about Haru's character. Haru takes the modest approach to acting out her character as she is filled with a dream that she is determined to accomplish. Ohno and Haru's scenes together tend to go from butting heads to awkward. Haru is a very strong female lead that is from in her  beliefs. I absolutely love this about her and this pushes Ohno's character to change his ways. He didn't need a weak woman that would give in to the large persona of Ohno's character but to fight against him with a persona of her own. Even when their is chemistry finally, Ohno disrupts things with his uncertainty that is sometimes cute then other times funny. Supporting Characters also are have personalities of their own that fuel the drama theme of inexperienced love. I just felt like the other romantic relationships beside the main one were forced just so the drama wouldn't run out of scenes with Ohno's character or so the scenes wouldn't get old too fast. The interaction between boss and staff was fun loving as well.






  A good portion of this drama was shot inside of two different hotels since its about the hotel industry. I love traditional Japanese sauna rooms and who they have drinks ready for you when you come out. That seems so refreshing just by looking at other people experience it. Lets hope that one day my dream will come true and i'll live in Japan for a few years. There than this, I don't have much else to say about the way this drama was shot. I do really enjoy the feel of the opening sequence. It reminds me of those American sitcoms from the 90s.







   Back to what I was saying about the plot and it being too plain. Next to the lineup of other shows I could be watching, this show seems to lack that spark that normally keeps me watching any type of television. There was no "WOW, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!" instead I got, "Oh God, he hasn't kissed her yet so this drama will drag on...". While it was interesting to see their relationship grow and Ohno's character change for the better, No big conflicts really happened outside of normal couple fights that you see in every other drama. We all know they are going to have differences since they are from different sides of the tracks but does the drama have to make this the main focus? I would have liked a little bit more creativity. The second couple had more interesting circumstances only to have a good idea ripped off by cheesy self-sacrifice for the main character. A smile did form on my face while watching this show because Ohno being witty makes all Arashi fans smile but this wasn't a "laugh out loud" drama for me. Where did that comedy title come from again? More like lighthearted romance.... or cultural difference on my part.

SAY WHAT NOW???



  My obligation as an Arashi fan made me watch this drama if you didn't figure that out by now. I in no way came out loving or hating "The Most Difficult Romance". I'm indifferent. Acting was good but storyline could have made a few improvements. Sometimes I feel like the Arashi members act in  random dramas just to promote their current new single. Sorry, but I prefer "Daylight" over "I Seek" anyway......

No comments:

Post a Comment