Sunday, August 14, 2016

Grey Rainbow(รุ้งสีเทา) Gay Thai Mini Drama Thoughts

   Its been a really long weekend with Otakon being the main reason for me being so unfit for time. Otakon is a Japanese anime convention that happens every year around August. This year will be the last year that the convention will be held in my hometown before it is moved to Washington DC. This is a sad departure for me but if I'm meant to keep going to this convention then fate will lead me to be apart of the action again in the future.  My first blog since Otakon has ended isn't even about Japanese culture but a drama from Thailand called "Grey Rainbow".



   Grey Rainbow is a boy's love themed drama that is included in the Views of Love series that was a whole bunch of other mini series grouped together. I haven't watched the other series but "Grey Rainbow" only has 4 episodes with each episode being about an hour in length. I knew pretty much nothing about this drama when I saw the video pop up in my youtube suggested box after watching Chinese drama "Addicted". There where some attractive men in the thumbnail so thats all you really need to hook the fish right? So then I held off on watching for a little bit until the mood came for me to tune in.

  The plot line is a love between two long time friends. Not just this love but many other problems that I believe any gay person or a person who understands what gay people go through would relate to.  That fear of being judged by others who are ignorant to issue related to LGBT community and just striving for the same equal rights are any other human being. This drama shows these issues as conflicts that full the mind of our main character. He doesn't know who he wants to be while he watches his friend be the outgoing cheery guy who would do anything for his stage actress girlfriend. Both characters are playing roles that are assigned to them by a society that feels living for the norm and not against the norm is alright. Do they ever wake up to smell the roses? Other very serious topics are touched in "Grey Rainbow" such as rape, and teenage pregnancy. The plot does a very good job of throwing all of these real life issues in the action without seeming like your being preached too much less being told what to do. A solution is presented and its up to the viewer to take way from what they have witnessed to apply to their own life. Everything hit to close to home for me as I related to this drama in many aspects especially the emotion of being uncertain with who you want to be.  Oh! I also can't forget the subtitle narration that countdown the minutes and seconds of each encounter between the two friends. I cried a lot before even know the deeper meaning of the counter until the very end of the series.


IM CURENTLY DECEASED


   I'm not sure why Thailand always seems so jungle like to me as a viewer. full of forests and green leafs as far as the eye can see. Even the city looks like a forest shine with those tiles that are planted in the ground. Scenes aisles gave off a murky cloudy look when the boys were walking around or riding a motorbike through the streets. later scenes are actually filmed in the mist of nature as the story deals with the animals known as elephants. Most of the drama just seems like a set for Tarzan, maybe even the jungle book. We got the natural rivers and everything. All these traits are what add to the charm of "Grey Rainbow".




   The acting was top notch when you get a feel for the characters. I didn't have a good impression of the characters while watching the first episode because I don't watch many Thailand dramas but I was instantly pulled into the conflicts with the characters from the second episode onward. The chemistry between the two leads make the drama like every other gay east asian drama. If the two main actors can't act for anything then the drama wont be anything. I could clearly see in each of the actors eyes that they had a love for each other over a span of many years. A love that they were willing to risk being ridiculed for in order to maintain it's structure. I loved watching them both learn to stand on their own two feet together.





  "Grey Rainbow" is a great drama if you want to watch something true to life and not too over made up to look like a fake version of what Gay people lives are like.When you make stories related to gay issues you need a certain realness otherwise the whole product seems not too genuine. Many of the dramas I see today are doing a great job on telling the struggle of Gay people in the right way.  I hope the next dramas I watch are just as good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment