Thursday, August 11, 2016

Corpse Party: Blood Drive(ブラッドドライブ) Game Thoughts

   I wasn't introduced previously to the other Corpse Party games so Blood Drive is the first game of the series that I had the chance to play. Can you hear the stuck up gamers already whispering about me and saying that I missed out on the better games in the series? I surely can imagine. Since my money finally allowed me to get a PS Vita the games I decided to get with the console were something a long the RPG style guidelines. I watched the a little teaser of the play through for Corpse Party:Blood Drive and loved the little mini character and the hype around the game's plot.





     The edition that have in my possession is the limited edition know as the "Ever After" edition. This version of the game comes with a soundtrack of all the music from each Corpse Party game and an art book full of the special cutscenes from each of the games including Blood Drive. You also get a chance to read up on many of the different characters in the series also including the plots of the three games. Blood Drive is supposedly the sequel to Corpse Party: Book of Shadows and is the conclusion to the Corpse Party franchise. I don't believe this series is over since there is wiggle room for a spin off or another continuation.




   My first observations about this game was the way the game is formatted. As a player, there are ten chapters in total that you have to play. Then there are eight extra chapters. Each new chapter is unlocked when you complete a chapter. Another quality that once again has caused people's underwear to get stuck up their behind is the fact that this game was not overdubbed into English. I would have liked to have heard this game and every other game released here in my native language but I'm not a complainer to the point that I boycott games or make it a point that I'm not buying a game because it's not in my native language. You have to actually wonder if some American voice voice actors could have had the same feel that the Japanese voice actors had. The Japanese voice actors were so very talented that I ended up falling for them as the characters they played. These people helped make this game very creepy and enjoyable experience. A good portion of the game is dialogue so if you don't like to read then don't give this game a second look. Just turn away now. Its ok that you still on a grade 4 reading level.(Ok, that was mean. sorry.) You also get a lot of cutscenes of your surrounding that are drawn in the perfect area of realness but at the same time still look very anime like. The character just look like some thing cut out of an anime which isn't a bad thing as you need something else to look at while you read. The plot of Corpse Party isn't a complicated one, some students mess with some back magic andante sent to a school in Nirvana called Heavenly Host Elementary. There the students most uncover the secret behind this school.... IF THEY CAN SURVIVE THE NIGHT!!!! ***Insert evil laugh***** The meat and potatoes of the story is a deep one that has a lot to do with the human emotion of revenge as well as madness.  The other games, Book of Shadows and Blood Drive, are basically the survivors who keep messing around and going back to Heavenly Host for stupid reasons that we all know are not going to end well. Its fun to watch though.



   We take control of the gameplay mostly when the main character's get transported back to Heavenly Host. I read somewhere that this was the first time one of the Corpse Party games was done in 2D. I bought this game because I like how it looked so I'm such this was something new to the old time gamers of this series. In order to survive in Heavenly Host, You have a flashlight that help you see in the dark to avoid certain objects that will deal damage to your health if you run into them. You also have other super freaky things to look out for like spirits. This game creeped me out for such a time that I wouldn't even play it at night. No wonder it took me almost a year to finish..... The huge headache about this game is the gamer isn't given any direction of where to go or what to do after a certain number of chapters. This can cause you to be running around for hours trying to figure out what to do next. Did I mention that your flashlight can run out of batteries?! How about the creepy fact that the spirits can chase you for a long period of time unless you find a talisman which purifies them? I found myself flipping out on more than on occasion because I could find what I needed to move on to the next area or I was missing an item that I needed. Its all in good fun though because this is the charm of Corpse Party: Blood Drive. I said "AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THIS" then started watching videos on youtube to help me out when there seemed to be no hope. I recommend you to do the same if you don't get lucky. The latter chapters are just cray cray and some of the obstacles will make you want to pee in your pants while calling for mommy. Hang in there and keep trying. I died a few times too but I kept at it till I got to the end. The final boss WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO THROW YOUR GAMING CONSOLE!!! BE WARNED!!!!!



   The storyline was a good one for me but my only problem was that sometimes the story seemed too drawn out. I can't tell you have many times I had to to put my PS Vita on standby mode because certain scenes where running for too long.  Other than that, I enjoyed every moment of the game even the lackluster "I got to go pee" scenes used to advance the story. Lets be real; You would have to go to the bathroom at some point. We are human and human life depends on us going to the potty. For me these scenes were believable because Its something I would do.... well, I would go anywhere in Heavenly Host alone. Thats for sure.



  I also checked out the live action film for Corpse Party. My mind was telling me not to watch it because my fear of the film not being good was super strong. I ended up liking the movie overall and it gave me some foundation on the origins of Corpse Party. Speaking of origins, Corpse Party: Back To School Edition is coming stateside soon for Nintendo 3DS so I'm going to be playing that too. A post most likely wont be done on that game but if you ask for it then I'll do it.


***PLEASE NOTE, CORPSE PARTY IS RATED M FOR MATURE AND SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED BY PEOPLE UNDER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN. THE CONTENT CAN BE VERY GRUESOME, SAME WITH THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE. PLEASE RESPECT THE LAW AND WAIT UNTIL YOUR OF AGE. THIS INCLUDES PC USERS WHO DOWNLOAD ONLINE. YOUR NOT SLICK. Thank you. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment