Saturday, April 4, 2020

MONSTA X( 몬스타엑스) - ALL ABOUT LUV Album Thoughts(Pop)






Tracklist:
1.WHO DO U LOVE? (feat. French Montana)
2.LOVE U
3.HAPPY WITHOUT ME
4.GOT MY NUMBER
5.SOMEONE’S SOMEONE
6.MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
7.SHE’S THE ONE
8.YOU CAN’T HOLD MY HEART
9.MISBEHAVE
10.BESIDE U Feat. Pitbull
11.WHO DO U LOVE? (feat. French Montana) [will.i.am Remix] 




   I'm going to keep my thoughts on this short and too the point. There's not much to say about Monsta X's debut English album. I'm not going to lie, I though this album was going to suck. Most Kpop artists that tried to take America by storm got lost in Google translate during the late 2000's. Not that I didn't enjoy some select few like Boa's English album but the rest left not much to really write home about(Yep, I'm looking at ya'll, SNSD, JYJ, Se7en, and 2NE1's nonexistent songs). All About Luv isn't a bad album at all. In fact, it's a solid effort to break into the American music scene. It just sucks that the album feels so safe when you listen to it. There was no risks taken in the production of this album. You can tell that much by how Disney and Nickelodeon most of the tracks sound. I'm talking about the overall melodies and delivery that could require these guys to sing these tracks drunk on Soju then still hungover the next day. This is not to say that the album lacks in shining moments. Who Do You Love's remix should have been the actually original song. Will.i.am does wonderfully bringing out the fire that the first version lacked. French Montana didn't need to be featured anywhere on this album and we all know that he wouldn't have been the first rapper that the guys would have picked for a feature. That man is problematic as fuck and they brought that drama to the guys. Pitbulll should have been the only featured rapper as his vibe fits more. Beside U lights up the album as the uptempo number that would have been playing in clubs if Monsta X had done more promotion during the album's original release. Love U grew on me in the flow of the album even if it does sound like an All Time Rush recycle bin track. It's just a simple catchy song. Got My Number also would have done very well in harmony behind the other tracks I mentioned and Happy Without Me. You Can't Hold My Heart No More can get thrown in there too. With that All About Luv would have made a great mini album. I'm not a fan of all the surgery goodness this album tries to slide down my throat. Tracks like Someone's Someone don't stick cause their not strong enough to remember. I think the biggest thing that this album accomplished is that it lets you know Monsta X's Korean music leaves a better lasting impression on the listener and Kpop acts sometimes dumb themselves down for an American audience which they don't need to do. I would have loved an English album version of their Korean hits though it would have been a headache to translate all the lyrics over to English. The lack of rapping from I.M. and Jooheon also bothered me. These two are too talented to have not rapped full out like in their Korean songs. Everything felt hallow without Jooheon's screams while he raps. Something in me died when Jooheon was put on singer duty….. DON'T EVER MAKE HIM DO THAT AGAIN. HOW DARE YOU EPIC RECORDS. I don't hate his singing but that's not his full time job…. Only his part time job that none should know about.



   




No comments:

Post a Comment