Monday, January 6, 2020

MONSTA X WE ARE HERE 2019 WORLD TOUR CONCERT DVD Thoughts


IN MEMORY OF…..


   First off, let me begin by say that this is my first post of 2020. Funny enough the content force me to look back on the amazing year this Korean boyband had…. That is until a few months toward the end of 2019 where one member was forced to leave the group and Monsta X was engulfed in scandals. Wonho's departure was one of the many incidents that shook the Kpop world last year, with fandoms rallying together trying to beg the guy to come back not realizing that his whole true reason for leaving had more to do with sacrificing himself for the careers of the other members. This dvd does make you return to Monsta X before everything went down. Some might call it bittersweet.







   Here is another Kpop concert dvd that claims to be a "World Tour" while always managing to film only in Seoul, South Korea. If you're going to add the word "world" on to the title, make sure that I see more than just east asian people in the crowd. The concert itself was decent…… for what I came for anyway. Monsta X performed all the tracks I wanted to see live flawlessly. Shoot Out was staged the same way it was on the music shows which to be honest was a tad bit of a disappointment. I feel sorry for the fans who follow Monsta X around and have seen every single live performance of Shoot Out or Alligator because you don't get any new take on the performance choreography. What was different about this concert than all the others I've seen is that I.M. and Jooheon(Joohoney) are excellent hype men as the two rappers of the group. There's never not a time that the two aren't hyping up not only the other members, but also the crowd. Their ad-libs added a new strong presence to the tracks that wasn't there in any of the other lives. Wonho also felt more open in general during this concert. He was smiling a lot more, just having fun joking while Monsta X had speaking opportunities. I got to clearly see the parts that he contributed to the group cause honestly, he didn't seem like much to me before outside of having a great body. Monsta X talks for a long time most of the concert and this was my biggest con if I were to have one. Music artists are suppose to talk since you want to see their personality but I didn't come to the concert to spend long periods of time during the show listening to the guys joke among each other. Get your point across then move on the the next song. The setlist could have had more songs in the time it took for them to talk to the crowd. Heart attack was one of the tracks that I really want to see them perform at this concert. Instead Oh My! made the cut from that album which is alright. I'll take what I can get overall. Some of the subunit solos were cute…. not my cup of tea thought. Mohae got cute staging that I enjoyed until I started freaking out at how long Rodeo(one of my favorite tracks by them) when on for. I guess that was the extended encore?Who's bright idea was it to let the guys use water guns when the crowd has electronic light sticks and when Monsta X themselves having on face mics that're full of electricity? One of the members literally gets his whole face wet then the members proceed to talk about how dangerous it is. DUH!  All of those guys had the time of their live on that stage doing the most hot mess type antics that you ever will see from a Kpop Concert. I honestly didn't make it to the credits which is odd for me. Once I saw that I had passed the last song, I was done watching. Monsta X was gearing up for another long as hell speech that I didn't have time to sit through as I shut the dvd off. Love the fact that you guys want that connection toward Monbebes however, I'm a fan that wants a bit more music than talking. I want to know you guys while getting my money's worth. Concert dvds aren't cheap either. Does this make sense?




   Many of the camera angles were ordinary. You get to see that Monsta X concerts have good turn outs when the camera floats above the stage or shows a shot of the full arena. Sound was also good. I do wish that Korean people would go a bit easy on the backing vocal track during lives. Certain members didn't have a problem since they have loud voices. Yeah…. I'm talking about you Joo Heon and I.M. but others got over dubbed at their vocal parts. Wonho would go in and out while Shownu and Minhyuk eventually tapped into the fact that they had to sing louder than normal. Wonho would sometimes lose his assigned spot when they did choreography and would have to move down so the other members could come into formation. Nothing gets past me. I see everything but if you don't know what to look for, you wouldn't even notice the mistake. That's how professional they are live.





    I would say this dvd is for hardcore fans. I'm not a hardcore fan of Kpop period but I do have standards when it comes to Kpop concert dvds I buy and I've seen better. Not that this is the worst, just not super amazing for the money you might spend.





No comments:

Post a Comment