Monday, April 8, 2019

Flower - F album Thoughts(J-pop)



  Flower is a Japanese pop girl group that I have always respected but never cared enough to really get into their music. The girls are pretty much a part of the female side of EXILE FAMILY(a sector of idol groups.) along with E-girls who were also backup dancers for Exile at one time. Believe me when I tell you that this group is an idol group, so they have had their share of hit albums and singles in Japan. Their third album titled F is no exception to the rule.




Tracklist


  1. 紅のドレス(Red Dress)
  2. たいようの哀悼歌(エレジー)(The Sun's Elegy)
  3. そこらへんによくある話 (A Story Common to Everyone)
  4. MOON JELLYFISH
  5. Monochrome (モノクロ)
  6. Colorful (カラフル)
  7. とても深いグリーン (Very Deep Green)
  8. まだ好きだから(I Still Like It)
  9. My Joe
  10. Stranger
  11. Boyfriend -part II-
  12. F

   F was the first album I decided to listen to by Flower. The song used to promote the album was very attractive, especially if you factor in the music video where they had such an amazing performing presence. The album itself actually surprised me because of how it came together as a good body of work. Most of the tracks are very traditional Japanese music crosses over into modern day Pop. Japanese music from the feudal era used a lot of wood wind instruments and wooden percussion. These qualities are kept in Flower's new album as the music would still be labeled J-pop respectively. The "J" in J-pop is stressed much more in F's production though. What I noticed was how the pure feel of the original Japanese musical culture doesn't seem to be tainted when mixed into Pop influenced by the west. Each song still tended to be a danceable good time even when dealing with music that was more traditional. Reina helped lead the way using her siren like voice to add a depth of charm. Flower even manages to cover Boyfriend-part II which was originally sung by my favorite J-pop/RnB Queen Crystal Kay. Flower doesn't quite capture the same soulful youthful essence of Miss Kay in her younger years but they do give a new side to the track for if a Japanese artist had actually sang the song first in this generation. I loved what they did overall, plus I'm sure Crystal Kay approved of them redoing the song for their album. F pulls out all the stops to the point that I can't put this album down.



   The vocals are so pretty. No, like there's not much more to say than that. It's like the vocals get stronger and stronger as the album progresses. I enjoyed how the vocals matched well with the Japanese sound the album gives off. Everything sounds slick on F. Someone needs to add a second vocalist to the group. Reina needs some support y'all……



   I would recommend this album to those who want to try out Flower's music for the first time. I'm not sure how their other albums sound but if it was anything like F then that's a BOP too. I know hardcore fans out there are saying this wasn't their best album or something like that.[INSERT ME LAUGHING.]



No comments:

Post a Comment