Tuesday, May 22, 2018

BTS(방탄소년단) - LOVE YOURSELF 轉(TEAR) Album Thoughts(K-Rap/Pop)




01. Intro: Singularity (Ft. V (BTS))
02. FAKE LOVE 
03. 전하지 못한 진심 (The Truth Untold) (Ft. Steve Aoki)
04. 134340
05. 낙원 (Paradise)
06. Love Maze
07. Magic Shop
08. Airplane Pt. 2
09. Anpanman
10. So What
11. Outro: Tear
 



   The Bullet Proof Boy Scouts continue to gain popularity worldwide thanks to their ever so devoted fanbase. They have snagged two awards in America as of three days ago and are looking to do very well on the American Billboard Charts this week. Their newest album titled LOVE YOURSELF: Tear hit the number one spot in sixty five countries within hours of the album's release online. LOVE YOURSELF is said to be a statement made by the group's lead rapper, RM(Rap Monster) about learning to love the skin that you're in.


   I don't plan to make this a super long post on my thoughts. I've done posts on BTS before so most of what I want to say hasn't changed that much from back then. Tear comes out for fans of the boys with a bomb ass title track called Fake Love. I'm in no denial that I rather see BTS promoting this song in the USA than DNA. Fake Love fits more into what an American listener would expect from a boyband in the early 2000s. Only the lyrics are eighty percent in Korean. The track was written and produced by an American producer(like many other Kpop songs, just translated in Korean.) then BTS put their tweaks on the lyrics. BTS always has an emotional story to tell you in their lyrics. Fake Love along with other tracks  on the album have a theme of finding strength in weakness at certain times in life. No matter if it's through love or the hardships of life. Both topics are up for discussion for Tear. Fake Love embodies the hurt in it's production as well. The instrumental is so well produced that you have to really focus in on all the components to actually catch everything. A sound effect like a gust of wind enters the song right at the start of the chorus that brings an added strength to the vocals. I also noticed the added guitars playing lightly under the beat for a distressed kind of sound. Anpanman is my next favorite track because of the old school BTS vibes that I got from the song. It's very groovy to a extent that the  tracks comes across as juvenile to me. Bangtan Boys used to be the guys that broke all the rules until they got mega famous outside of Korea. Their music isn't as powerful as it once was in my opinion. They just make pretty boring pop records now that are a hit or miss. If your lucky, you might find a few tracks on their albums that are good but don't expect a masterpiece like "O!RUL8,2?". That's not happening anymore. The real reason I still check for BTS is because of RM. I listened to Tear throughout it's entirety while waiting for a track that had RM spitting some real bars. The damn outro was the only track that really had RM going off a little bit. That's very sad to me. Dude is too talented to not be given more rap parts. Tear has about four tracks that I like if you count the last track. At least I liked some of the songs…..


  What's starting to dawn on me the more I pay close attention to BTS's performances is that they are not super strong vocalists. They are good at what they do, don't get me wrong but they don't have outstanding vocals at all. I would also like to point out that there was improvement in their ranges from what I hear on each album but they don't go out of their way to show that they can hit those high notes often. V's voice is a daddy's voice… Enough said about that[INSERT ME LAUGHING.].  J-hope's rapping bothers me when RM starts off the rap so strong then he sounds less powerful. WORK ON THAT VOICE PROJECTION BOY!! He did rap really well with RM on the last track though. I'll give him that.


  I'm cheering BTS on from the back of the room while wishing them all the success they deserve. I'm not a huge fan of them anymore(Ok, I'm a huge fan of RM.). They just aren't my cup of tea.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment