Sunday, February 5, 2017

Zion T(자이언티)- OO Album Thoughts(K-RnB/Hip-Hop)


Track List:
01. 영화관
02. 노래 (The Song)
03. Comedian
04. 미안해 (feat. Beenzino)
05. 나쁜 놈들
06. Complex (feat. G-DRAGON)
07. 바람 (2015)
08. 영화관 (Inst.)

   Zion T is one of the few Korean artists out today that truly represents the old school art of soul, funk, and RnB. I first came to know Zion T when he did a few vocal features on producer Primary's albums. After that, he started releasing his own albums under the label, Amoeba Culture. He then left after a number of releases to sign to Rapper/Producer Teddy Park's sub label BLACK LABEL under YG entertainment. Zion also was a producer for the latest season of Show me the money with label mate Kush.  00 is Black Label's first release as a new record label and Zion T's second full length  album.



 I respect Zion T as a vocalist but in all honesty, his songs never stuck with me. That smooth jam feeling comes over me every time I hear his music but the connectivity to his craft wasn't there for me. I believe it was because his songs weren't catchy enough outside of the ones he did with Primary. Old school funk could be like that at times but the genre had its tight move to the beat melodies too. Zion T sometimes spends too much of his energy trying to sound smooth and less time on creating a songs that will resonate with a wider range of people. 00 keeps a piece of his old habits but no more boring choruses to look forward too. Maybe it was the label switch or he got a clue but this album saw a change in musical flavor. Zion T is still here and unchanged artistically, however, the songs are fuller and take to a longer range of creativity.  Tracks such as The Song automatically make you want to do a slow bounce in your seat like your sitting in a club and your jam just came on the loud speakers. I'm Sorry is a track that brings on Rapper Beenzino to join in the fun. The result is another great track that keeps you on high because Beenzino and Zion T share the same type of unique style to stay in their own lanes and do them. Zion T also shines with vocals that are attractive and fit the song perfectly.

  Zion T's voice is a mixture of Michael Jackson and Chris Brown. A little on the high side but with a smooth quality. In the perfect style for him, he can make anything sound good vocally. I don't have anything bad to say about his singing, I just don't like all his songs.  I wish to one day hear him sing a song that makes me go, "DAMN THIS DUDE CAN SANG! NOT SING... SANG!".

  I liked three songs the most out of the full album. Some track once again were not for me but there was improvement. I didn't like any of the songs from his last album. This is not to say that I still won't listen to his music.... dude got the vocals for sure. Plus I love people of different races who push my race's culture in a positive way.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment