Sunday, February 12, 2017

Final Fantasy XV(ファイナルファンタジーXV) Japanese Game Thoughts(PS4)






   For the christmas holiday, I finally decided that I was going to buy a playstation 4. They had been out for a while now and I didn't bother purchasing one when they first came out. Too much hype surrounding them and too many lines and fights that I would have to face. As you all know, I'm a huge RPG fans that loves a good story, good characters, good character design etc. Final Fantasy is a gaming series that I have a love hate relationship with just because I either last to the end of a game or I don't and put the game down for it to catch dust. I will say that I always get excited to see a new game even if I don't play all of them. The newest insert to the series is Final Fantasy fifteen and it took Square Enix a totally of ten years to complete the whole foundation of this game. I didn't wait those ten years, as I do other things with my life but I'm happy for the people who waited and finally got this game. I did however, get the chance to play Final Fantasy fifteen and lasted to the conclusion.(YAY!)



 The story of Final Fantasy fifteen can be a hard pill to swallow especially if your coming in with your feet dry and haven't already gotten them wet by the film, Final Fantasy: Kingsglaive. I did highly recommend you watch this film before you play the game so you understand why this game's plot is set up the way that it is. A prince is sent on the road with his companions as they travel the world of Eros trying to make their way home for the prince's wedding to the world's oracle. The boys soon find that getting to have this wedding will be much harder than one would imagine. Then the whole world becomes at stake when the darkness full of demons threatens to engulf their world. You don't have to work to hard to get the full juice out of the content of this story. Well besides finding your way and completing the missions..... I remember when you had to find your party members and have them join you in classic RPGs but here, you meet all the boys at once. Noctis, the quite and cool crown prince, Gladious, Noctis's bodyguard, Ignis, Noctis's advisor, and Promto, Noctis's best friend. All these characters have very different personalities that bring color to your journey even if it gets annoying sometimes when they keep repeating the same lines over and over again. I laughed at their exchanges constantly during battles and when they were traveling around. Promto is the jokester and the most liveliest character and Gladious and Ignis are more like the adults but they all have their moments of being silly with each other. Noctis is kinda just in the middle watching and putting a comment in sometimes. With such big personalities, the characters are lovable and you grow attached to them while wanting to get them to their destination.  I liked the storyline but it felt like the creators betted on the fact that the game is an open world with a lot of quests to stop people from rolling through the story. If you just roll through the story, this game does feel very short. I did do a lot of quest in the beginning to earn money and the goodies that came with completing the quests but by the time you get to the middle of the game, I didn't need to do too many quests because I had all the money I needed. I also saw that some players grinded to get their characters to a high level. You can do that for the fun of it but its not necessary to beat the game.




 The gameplay takes some getting used to defiantly if you haven't played a final fantasy game in a few years. You can get a little practice in with the beginning of the game tutorial but if thats not enough just practice during easy quests. The battle system is real time with the mechanics resembling a Kingdom Hearts game. A play can only play as Noctis and he allows you to switch through weapons and warp strike to hit enemies or to different locations. Noctis runs on magic points that drain as you fight so you must watch his MP meter. When it hits zero, Noctis goes into a venerable state that cause him to move very slowly and he can't  attack. This brings me back to warping. Warping can restore magic points and HP, so this right here is your best friend folks. you can also collect different elements like fire, ice, and thunder, to craft magical spells. It took me a while to learn how to use this the right way but I got the hang of it. Equip a magic spell but don't just throw it at random. If your party members are in range, they will get hurt too. Sadly, reality sets in here. I found that in the beginning stages of the game, I would just throw the spell anyway but my characters seemed to know to jump out of the way when they got to a higher level. Reality is a bitch when it comes to traveling the world. Final Fantasy makes your put on your big boy pants and be responsible. A function to drive the car they own but you can't drive at night during the earlier stages of the game nor can you drive during certain parts of the game. Ignis takes over the wheel until later in the game. Night time in this game is like hell on earth if you don't know what your doing. The game has rest stop that look like gas stations and camping sites that can be found in the middle of nowhere. A meter on the side of the screen will tell you the cycle of the sun and when to gets dark. When it gets dark, you better find your way back to the rest stop of find a camping ground because the strongest demons come out at night and they will not hesitate to kill you and your party. Do try taking on these monsters when your a higher level though. Other adult things you have to do is filling up your car with gas,(If you don't, you will find your ass pushing your car down the road.) resting to level up your characters, buying equipment, talking to the locals for information, quests, and helping Ignis find recipes to cook fantastic dishes.(He's a great cook btw!) Some much to do in this world of Final Fantasy that doesn't involve the main storyline. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Noctis can go fishing and Promto takes pictures of you on your journey. Pictures are needed as the game is breath takingly beautiful to look at.





  My problems with the game come in when it comes to little attributes such as the camera during battles and driving controls not working correctly. A lot of games fall victim to the dreaded camera angle that spins around automatically to a place that basically blinds you of all view. I hated this so much when I was in the middle of a battle and had to reset the camera angle. A monster could get the upper hand on me just in that moment..... A select few monsters in this game are jerks. We not going to even talk about those random monsters that are super high level who appear randomly waiting for you to engage it so that it can whip your ass. Do be careful everyone. Some monsters are not meant for you to take on at that immediate moment. level up and come back later. I'm speaking from experience here. Driving got on  my nerves a little because you don't drive that much and when you final get the freedom to do so, you look like a hot mess because Ignis takes the wheel most of the game. I also felt like certain controls would not work right for me causing me to crash a few times. I was a good driver on the road but it was one mission during chapter 13...... I don't want to think about it. That was not a good experience for me as a driver.

  Final Fantasy fifteen left me with a full heart. The conclusion made me think, "gosh, I'm going to miss those boys and their antics!" It was so much fun traveling with all of them and laughing then crying. The game was very enjoyable and you can continue to play after you beat the game. The game encourages it by offering a ton of end of game content. It was really fun, Noctis, Promto, Ignis, and Gladious.



No comments:

Post a Comment