Monday, October 2, 2023

My Love Mix- Up!( 消えた初恋) Manga Thoughts Vols 1-9

 




    My Love Mix-Up is a 2022 Japanese manga series that was created by Wataru Hinekure and drawn by Aruko. The series was extremely popular not only in Japan but internationally as well. It's popularity spawned a live action drama along with awards for prestigious manga categories. The series is nine volumes.  





   A boy tries to help his friend confess her love to the boy that she likes. She puts her note in an eraser and he tries to give the eraser to the boy however, the eraser falls on the wrong desk, causing a misunderstanding that none would have imagined......






     My Love Mix Up is the type of series that you can read without sweating the small stuff. The story doesn't take itself too seriously unless it's about the pains of growing up. There's a lot of comedy that hits the mark every time because the jokes flow well with the characters's situations. What I enjoyed most about this manga was how the story tries very hard not to fall into the usual Yaoi tropes that most readers know all about by now. This isn't an x-rated story nor does it deal with the stereotypical issues of sexuality labels.  No homophobia exists in the story either. Most if not all of the problems have to deal with communication. The main leads are very young, so the idea of dating the same sex is approached in a pure way. A lot of the relationships are a bit shaky due to their ages but, I'm addicted to the warm fuzzy feelings that each volume of My Love Mix-Up gave me. I actually went "AWWW" when i found out that volume nine was the last volume. The ending was just was as warm as the whole series which made me happy.  









    The art uses various sketch techniques to show a fine edge to the character faces while also symbolizing youth. Other panels are more haywire when the comedic elements come into play. Watercolors being used for the covers was a nice eye pleasing touch. 








     My Love Mix-Up is a manga series I would recommend for readers who want a realistic take of young love between two boys. It's short and sweet. I've defiantly have to go check out the live action drama soon....








No comments:

Post a Comment