Monday, January 16, 2023

Polin(柏霖) - The Wilderness 野蛮之荒 Album Thoughts (mando-pop)


 


  Polin originally was a dancer that has danced in Taiwan as well as the United States. He is most known for dancing in a stage production of Cats in Taiwan. I didn't even know the he was a vocalist too but I should have. Cats has a lot of musical numbers in it. The Wilderness is lin's debut into the Taiwanese music scene. 






    Out of all the Taiwanese artists that are new to the scene, Polin's music sounds the most polished. His debut doesn't feel like he is new, instead the album gives off more of an already established vocalist kind of tone. Lin plays around with a lot of styles here. He weaves through each style like he is dancing number on stage: with grace and professionalism. Obsession is a track that grips you with the its mid tempo beat that lays in between an electric guitar and a backup chorus. Purge is the opposite with an Soul/RnB undertone that supports Polin's vocal performance. I enjoyed some tracks more than others. Pop Rock is more to my tastes so you will be able to tell the tracks I liked the most. A couple of the ballads weren't too bad either surprisingly. 





     I wasn't a big fan of Polin's voice at first.... He's singing has grown on me a lot. He sings in a high register that ca either captivate or annoy.  I was leaning more toward the annoying side of things until I started to really take in his technique. 





   The Wilderness is a good album that fits right in with the Mando-pop era of today. I'm glad that I stumbled upon his music. I'm a year late now though.... 






No comments:

Post a Comment