Sunday, November 27, 2022

Ovan(오반) - Star(주연) Album Thoughts(K-indie)

 



Track List

01. Celebrate
02. So I’ll be a star
03. Olympic Park
04. Do I Do
05. Our Dating is
06. Untitled
07. My Night
08. It’s LUV
09. Cold World
10. Hometax







       

  I've been hearing Ovan's name in the South Korean music circle for awhile now. He had a big scandal awhile ago where his song became number one on the Korean digital charts ahead of big name acts who are more known than him. It was being said that his label paid for his chart placement. While this does happen, I will say that Ovan has good music and I'm not sure if his success was earned or bought. What I do know is that after being pretty much a singles artists, he's finally released his first full album titled, Star. 






   Ovan comes across to me as an RnB Pop singer. Then he goes against this all of a sudden with this album. He opens the album with Celebrate; a pop rock number that feels a bit cheesy on first listen. It's still feels like Ovan though. The rest of the album has solid harmonies that are tie ends to choruses that seem incomplete to me. Ovan could have wrote more lyric for tracks like "So I'll be a Star" because the overall song falls a little flat, even with Ovan passionate vocals. He also didn't add any of his previous singles on the album, which would have given him a bit of breathing room to fall into his creative process. He only added one song and that song his probably the best on the album. Other album tracks that have the same sound feel more like mini versions of "Do I Do". Star is kinda all over the place like BiBi's album. The only difference is Ovan has more enjoyable tracks on his effort overall than BiBi did. Both singers need to find a really good producer to bring out that chart topping album I know they both can create. 





     Ovan's vocals are his winning feat. He can sing anything while still keeping that buttery quality in his vocals. I don't like when he tries to rap. Rap isn't for him but I don't mind it if it's only for a short portion of the track. His voice is more suited for RnB or pop in my opinion. 





   Star and Ovan's older music are worth a listen. Some of my favorite songs by him are the songs he did two or three years ago. I'm not sure why he's taking part in Fighter matches...... Hmmmmm




No comments:

Post a Comment