Monday, October 10, 2022

Shibuya Goldfish(渋谷金魚) Japanese Manga Thoughts

    




   Shibuya Goldfish is manga series that was written and produced by Hiroumi Aoi. Square Enix Gangan Comic magazine publish the manga until it entered it final ark. 11 volumes were published independently. Yen Press licensed the series in English but later volumes of the series are harder to find in bookstores. 





   A guy who is down on his luck, takes a trip to Shibuya one day. As he arrives, man eating Goldfish appear out of nowhere....  They surround the city, stopping anyone from leaving by tearing them to shreds.





   Goldfish that eat people seems like a silly concept at first. I thought so but, this still didn't stop me from giving this series a chance. I'm glad that I did because I was hooked volume are volume even though the series wasn't super popular. Each volume gives you a piece to the puzzle of how the Goldfish became this way, In fact, one of the driving factors to keep you reading is the horror mystery element that's presented in the plot so well. These Goldfish are scary enough just eating people. You would think that the terror would stop there. Nope. The fish start to mutate as they eat people. First stage just have the fish speaking a whole lot of random words. Things from only just get worse. I've never been so chilled to the bone by Goldfish in my life. Aoi creates a pretty solid cast of characters that all have their own goals for making it out alive.... Some of them will jeopardize plans for their own  gains. Others are actually alined with the fish. Readers will become invest in the story just to see if these characters will die or not. Believe me when I tell you that many of the people who try to fight back come to the edge of death many times. It's nail bitting series that you didn't know you needed until you start reading. 







   That art feels very much like early 2001 series that I would have read. The character models aren't extraordinary since all the effort seemed to have gone into the Goldfish. Most of the fish in the panels and on the covers look great. I like how the horror is captured in their poses. The city looks like an exact replica of Shibuya.... landmarks and all. 








   I don't want to give away all the secrets of this series. Especially since I already kinda gave away a little bit. If you're into Junji Ito's Gyo then, you will like this more tame dive into horror. Enjoy everyone... 




No comments:

Post a Comment