Monday, May 10, 2021

Zombie For Sale(기묘한 가족) Korean Film Thoughts(2019)



 

 


  The Odd Family or Zombie For Sale as the film is known as internationally, is a 2019- 2020 Korean film directed and written by Lee Min Jae. The film hires an all star cast and new actors: Kim Nam Gil, Jung Jae Young, Uhm Ji Won, Park In-Hwan, Jung Ga Ram(Beast Clawing at Straws), and Lee Soo Kyung. 



  A country family finds a boy on the side of the road and welcomes he into their family, not knowing that the boy is a wanted zombie experiment that will soon infect their whole town.......





  Zombie For Sale isn't a film that's main focus is the zombie aspect of the storyline. What the point focuses on most here is the idea of family bonds and what keeps a family together. The zombie parts of the film are more like the icing on the top of an already sweet enough cake. Constant comedy filled scenes also showcase that this film want's you to think of the whole situation the character's get themselves into as slapstick stupid fun. Oh boy is some parts of this film stupid as hell.... Many times through out this film had me shaking my head at how stupid the actions of everyone involved were. Most if not all of the issues they had could have been avoided but I will chalk that up to country bumpkin naivety. Not to say that the zombie parts, family troubles, and slight romance isn't a fun ride, because for sure it is. Lee juggles all the mess he mixed together pretty well. Even at times when I didn't think this film would head anywhere promising. Director Lee ties all loose ends up with a tiny bow just for viewers.    






   I have to give an honorable mention to Jung Ga Ram for playing the zombie who was a bit too strange, yet also had pieces of his humanity. Sometimes I saw his character as a zombie who had a part of his human self left inside. This is shown during the romantic scenes of the film..... Everyone else was good in their roles too. Nothing that I haven't seen them do before however. 



   Zombie For Sale was a hidden gem that I almost didn't watch. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. It's a Korean film that I will keep in my collection and recommend to fans of South Korean cinema. 







No comments:

Post a Comment