Friday, March 26, 2021

DPR Ian - Moodswings in This Order Album Thoughts(K-indie)

 




   DPR Ian is an artists that I've run across a couple of times on the intterwebs but he didn't really appeal to me as an artists. I've seen his instagram lives while wondering why he was popular. Then I searched him up only to find that he was a member of the departed boyband idol group C-CLOWN. I knew f this group but I would be lying if I said that they weren't forgettable among the ton of other Korean Kpop boybands at the time. Fast forward to the current times, DPR Ian has come into his own as a solo artist under the DPR label. His music hits a certain part of the human soul even if he hasn't released much vocal material. His first real album is called Moodswings in This Order. This album comes after the compilation album titled Achieves. 





Track List:
01. MITO
02. So Beautiful
03. Dope Lovers
04. No Blueberries (Feat. DPR LIVE, CL)
05. Nerves
06. Scaredy Cat
07. Welcome To The Show
08. No Silhouette


   



   Since DPR Ian came off to me as more of an instrumental producer than a vocalist, elements of this come across strong in his music. The production has many components holding together the overall sound but a lot of the times, the vocals could use a bit more careful planning. I can her the creative artistry in each track. It's just that the vocals come on and leave much more to be desired. We can exclude the title tracks though. Some of Ian's best creative juices seemed to have started flowing while writing and laying down the tracks So Beautiful, Scaredy Cat, and No Blueberries. CL(formally of 2NE1) doesn't sound like her normal self at all which is a good thing. I believe many fans will like this more mature side of her vocals. Welcome to the Show could have also been a title track settling for instead being buried at the end of the album. The tracks smooth acoustic flare at the beginning of the chorus sets up the dramatic pop beat that's loudly in tune with Ian's sorrowful whaling. Overall, Moodswings wasn't as impressive as I hoped the album would be. His songs do however take me back to college days where students would play around in the a studio for fun but would mess around and create something amazing. I would pick out the songs you like the most instead of keeping the whole album. Oh, His songs are mostly in English if that counts for something. 





    DPR Ian sounds like an alternative pop RnB vocalist. Then, he sounds like he's covering the band The Killers. It's weird to me. I honestly don't think that he has found the musical style that really represents him yet. I'm not sure who he is yet. I'll wait around a little while to find out though. You might like his music or DPR LIVE so check them out if you want. 






No comments:

Post a Comment