Monday, September 14, 2020

Monsta X(몬스타엑스) - Fantasia Mini album Thoughts(K-pop)

 





    I'm a bit late making a post about Monsta x's latest mini album, mostly because I bought the album and let it sit on my dresser for weeks. Fantasia is what the guys threw out after their American album. I'm not mad at the release considering their Valentines Day album was missing what made Monsta X unique in South Korea. Those who were craving the absence of their strong presence probably broke a door down to listen to this new mini album. Also, shout out to Wonho for doing his thing solo.... even if I like his body more than I like the music........ 




 



TRACKLIST:

  • 1. FANTASIA
  • 2. FLOW
  • 3. ZONE
  • 4. Chaotic
  • 5. Beautiful Night
  • 6. IT AIN’T OVER
  • 7.Stand Up



   Fantasia calls on the guys to do the same old same old that got them their fanbase. Nothing new here to really here and no tracks jumped out at my like their last mini album. What I will say is they do their signature style so well that it seems almost locked in. The title track also known as the mini album's title uses traditional indian sounds on top of an dance pop beat which you would except to sound messy all together. They mange to bring a cool smoothness to the vocal lines, especially at the chorus where a lot is going on. Flow just sounds disruptive using all that autotune on the vocals. Then the instrumental is loud as hell when it doesn't need to be. This song was on that didn't need autotune. I did need the skip button two minutes in though.... Chaotic was my favorite track since it's the most manly sounding track outside of the title. Their rap lines that go between the vocal frames are everything I ask for from Monsta X. Beautiful Night belongs in English on their last album as it's sugary pop vibe that pulls the album in the wrong direction. I'm not saying it's a bad track.... Just a pandering track for the masses who can't digest a full out dark Monsta X. You would think a song called "It Ain't Over" would make me wish the song wasn't over but you are sadly mistaken. Lyrics like " It ain't over, till it's over" are too cheesy to accept as good.  The track's recycled 60's soul beat didn't help their case either. My finger was sooooo close to pressing the skip button. IM and Jooheon saved the day at right time. Both guys can rap over any kind of beat and make it work out. Monsta X would be nothing without those two. Stand up can be placed in the same category as Beautiful Night. Super over the top poppy without a reason. The track doesn't fit in with the album's atmosphere. After deleting Flow, Fantasia is easy to swallow. The mini album wasn't a dub, yet it wasn't outstanding. 






   I would recommend this album to old fans. New listeners should go back and listen to songs from Shoot Out onward. I'm not going to mention their era before this song because you're not missing out on much except a young Monsta X trying hard to find their style. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment