Sunday, July 12, 2020

WeiBird Wei(韋禮安) Sounds of My Life Album Thoughts(Mando-pop)










    As a long time foreign listeners of Mandarin pop music, I've listen to William Wei's songs over the years and the music that comes from him was always songs that make you long for a certain special emotion that only he can bring through his lyrics. Wei's songs aren't ones that I really listen to all the time but I remember his music enough to come when I hear his name. Sounds of My Life is his newest release that hit store selves last month. If you look at the track number, you will see why it took me so long to say anything about this album(also there's the fact that I'm always late writing about stuff….).



Track List:


01.        Sounds of My Life             
02.        See You on Monday             
03.        Interlude (XYGX)             
04.        房客             
05.        貓咪共和國             
06.        不用告訴我             
07.        Interlude (I WROTE A SONG FOR YOU)             
08.        一口一口             
09.        沒有你的世界             
10.        而立             
11.        這樣好嗎             
12.        聽我的             
13.        Interlude (YOU WROTE A SONG FOR ME)             
14.        Brand New             
15.        記得回來             
16.        I Wrote a Song for You             
17.        Credits

 


   Let's keep this kind of short in contrast to the many tracks on Sounds of My Life….. Some parts were for me then, other parts were not. Certain moments on the album pulled me in as songs began with promise only to lose the charm to keep me invested till the song's conclusion. Mind you, Wei is a well seasoned artist that's received more than a few awards for his work and the emotional depth her experienced through life is solidly produced well into the tracks. I just didn't feel as excited to hear more as I bumbled through each track. He goes for mostly soulful acoustic sounds that fit him but need an extra push to really be rememberable songs. The hard rock sound stands out like a sour thumb which isn't revisited anymore after the first time. English tracks lack strong writing. I'm not a fan of choruses where the same phrase is sung over and over again. I've said this numerous times in my other posts. for example, Wei could have used repetition to his advance had the lyrics been written a bit smarter. Most tracks run together in this same fashion until I decided to revisit the album later. A part of me was disappointed that the album wasn't thought out more in production. You can tell he was writing songs for himself. Those tracks titles told NO LIES. Well, it happens....



   I would listen to Sounds of My Life again. Saying that the album is downright awful would be something I don't want to do right off the bat. I'll sit down and try to really take in William Wei's art before deciding to totally discard this large album into my laptop's recycle bin.


No comments:

Post a Comment