Saturday, June 6, 2020

Vicky Chen(陳忻 玥) - I Am Who I Am Album Thoughts(Mando-Pop)




    Many of you know about the recent events that have been occurring in the world. America is dealing with the fact that the country has to look in the face of the blatant racism and discrimination that formatted their home. Worldwide citizens also still have to deal with protesting while protecting themselves from coronavirus. Hong Kong people were protesting before the virus outbreak and still continue to do so. We all must learn of to put the pieces back together containing the life the we know for better or worst. I still wanted to write a post because I almost decided not to write one for this week but I changed my mind after listening to Vicky Chen's album called I Am Who I Am. The songstress was found through the internet singing covers and her own original music. I've seen single after single from her for a while, so I wondered when her album would drop. She's kinda of associated with the rapper OSN, who I also really like musically.










01.Am I Who I Am
02.煙幕
03.Treasure
04.Just You and Me
05.If You're Really Gonna Leave Me
06.時間的輪
07.炙愛(女聲版)
08.Hands Up
09.社會敗類
10.入土之前
11.生活
12.Nobody Ever Wonders
13.猜
14.Baby
15.Just You and Me (Unplugged)







     I Am Who I Am gives listeners a heavy douse of what Vicky Chen can do if she's given the chance to create more albums in the future. What comes from the songs is a feeling similar to releasing stress away from her own problems along each track. Fans who wanted more than a few tracks to listen to got it coming at them full speed. Sadly though, there's many female singers in Taiwan that sing at a high pitch and play the guitar. The one thing that sticks out about Vicky to me is the burning desire to create music that comes from a genuine place but also makes an impact on those who listen. While her sound is nothing new if you listen to Alternative Pop, Much presented on I Am Who I Am proves that this woman knows good material that plays to her strengths. The album opens to a strong track who's title is taken from the album's name then only grows fiercer until the middle of her debut effort. Even some of the love songs that weren't always my taste stuck to my ears. Previous released singles fit into the album well, though, I couldn't help but feel that none of the  tracks top her singles such as, Just You and Me, Nobody Ever Wonders, etc. Hands Up and Treasure come close but don't quite make the same solid impact on me. Sounds in production are manly acoustic mixed together with a full on electric guitar band. This fell a little short too. None of the track venture into a rock category like I was hoping for. I Am Who I Am instead chooses to stay relatively safe. Well…. minus all the "Fucks" she sings which I kinda love low key.






     Chen has that sense in here voice that sounds like she's sang at a lot of live shows. Her voice is bendable so she likes to play with her vocal runs. Sometimes a bit too much…. I'll let her do her though.The higher part of her range is pretty and used a lot. East Asian listeners love this sound from their artists though. At least her lower register sounds equally as good in my opinion.






    I Am Who I Am was a satisfactory album that will bring her new fans. I'm really loving her new image that was brought out to help promote first album. I'll be looking forward to what she does next.




No comments:

Post a Comment