Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Kard(카드) - Red Moon Mini Album Thoughts(Kpop)








Tracklist:

1. GO BABY
2. RED MOON
3. ENEMY
4. INFERNO
5. Dumb Litty
 






   Kard was a group that I previously had no interest in. They're apart of that new generation of Kpop that just doesn't hit in the right places like the groups before their time. I've been checking this group out on and off only to find that their music normally is very boring uninspiring dance pop. The seem to like seasonal themes as well which comes off as a bit corny. The saving grace for Kard is the sole fact that they're coed which is something I haven't seen in Kpop for a few years now. Red Moon brought about a new side to Kard that peaked my interest a bit when I be grudgingly clicked on Dumb Litty's music video just knowing I was about to experience sour stale pop music with a two year expiration date. Instead, Kard surprised me a bit with a new sound leading up to their fourth mini album...






   Red Moon has Kard sporting a much darker concept than their other mini albums. I'm actually loving this dark era of music that Kard has stumbled into. I'm not too sure that this will be a constant thing. Still, I'm here for the maturity while it last. Hard hasn't given up on the dance pop sound but now they try to refine what they have already made their mark on. Go Baby opens with a reggae guitar section that's very weird because the rest of the song sounds nothing like this and somehow the song manages to have different music genres coming together in one song. The hip hop sound at the core of this opener is a constant underline theme on Red Moon. Which leads perfectly into the title track also names after the album. Listeners get a whole bunch of techno bass here, that could be kind of off putting to listeners who like Kard's more settled poppy sound. I thought that Dumb Litty was a good preparer for Red Moon overall. Both tracks fit as sequels to each other as they use techno pop to elevate that fact that most of the tracks would be basic Hip hop tracks without all the overused production. Kard's producers make it work since I think that this is the best album out of their whole career of music. Not that Red Moon doesn't come with it's flaws because it does. Kard starts to fall back into their old tricks in Enemy and Inferno. I might have stated this before, REPETITIVE WORDS DOES NOT EQUAL CATCHY MUSIC. Kard loves a chorus where they say the same English word a few times then throw a dance break behind it. Please stop giving me music that only would sound good in a club after midnight. You have to know when a track calls for you to repeat a word in succession for a catchy hook and when the act makes the song sound cheaply unexciting. Red Moon gets the "Bad Bitch" tone of the album right during three tracks though. I even felt that this release would have stood well in the past golden age of Kpop where more of the acts were actually good artists. 




   Red Moon proves that Kard would create better music if they sticked to a Hip Hop infused sound. I could tell that the males of the group were dying for music that could allow them to ride a nice beat. Too bad they had to wait till their fourth mini album to realize that being bad never felt so good. Much of the vocals sound the best when the members go back and forth with each other. Especially since this is a coed group. 




   Kard got more respect from me cause this group wasn't one that I kept on my radar. They have too many flop songs to me. I can respect that they have ganored a fanbase thanks to said bad songs though.


No comments:

Post a Comment