Tuesday, October 15, 2019

I Don't Like Mondays - Future Album Thoughts(J-Rock)




   These boys named their band I Don't Like Mondays because they thought having a full sentence as the band name would make an impact. They're signed to Rhythm Zone who's name is most of the time stamped all over Exile's sub group's music videos. (Generations From Exile Etc.) All the guys write their own songs, direct their own music videos, and do fashion on the side(I mean their lead singer has the looks to be a model in Japan… Just saying.). Future is the band's newest album release.





1. FUTURE (Introduction) (0:40)
2. DIAMOND (4:20)
3. Do Ya? (3:40)
4. Up to U (3:55)
5. Zero Gravity (4:17)
6. LEMONADE (3:49)
7. AITAI (3:20)
8. A GIRL IN THE CITY (3:44)
9. PLEASE (3:56)
10. CALL ME (4:19)
11. TONIGHT (4:14)
12. TRY FOR YOU (4:36)
13. 0:01 (Interlude) (0:35)
14. FANCY GIRL (3:44)
15. FIRE (3:37)






   Future felt like a more well thought out album tracks wise than their last album, thus the whole product was more solid to me. I liked how the songs had me dancing from the end of the album's intro to the very last song. They're style is funk rock normally but this album has a mainstream pop feel mixed in that made their overall sound updated. I liked their older stuff that I ran across on Youtube. Their songs didn't hook me like this album did though. Catchy pop soul jam are more the style that fits them as FUTURE groves around the rhythm then jumps off stages to into the crowd at a rock show. It really is such a fun album. What was even better about this album is that you see how I Don't Like Mondays has transitioned into a crowd pleaser. I wasn't expecting an album that was so enthusiastic about making me enjoy what I was hearing. Maybe I Like Mondays will continue to be innovative musically. I'm totally here for that.







    I Don't Like Mondays has always sounded like an Asian American band. Solely due to the fact that the lead singer gives off a "been out of Japan" kind of vibe. Also, most of the band's songs are in Japanese and English. I want to say he sings in English without any accent….. However that doesn't mean anything looking at Japan's history of Rock singers over the past decade. Look at Taka from One Ok Rock, Roy from The Bawdies, or Model Actress Singer, Anna Tsuchiya from a decade ago(What happened to her anyway?) All these Japanese singers sing in English without an accent and were all born in Japan. Their front man's vocals are like many before them, American and Japanese but the key to standing out will be more focused on how their musical style differs compared to other Japanese bands out now. Not many Bands in Japan are doing the Funk Rock thing a mainstream level. I can only think of two bands off the top of my head and I Don't Like Mondays doesn't sound like either one of them.




   Future is highly recommended to people who are new to I Don't Like Mondays. You can also go back and give their older music a try. It's good in it's own "past" kind of way.



No comments:

Post a Comment