Monday, September 16, 2019

DAY6데이식스 1st World Tour "Youth" DVD Thoughts





    Day6 is a band that JYP Entertainment kept in the basement for most of their debut days in Korea. People would hear their songs without a live performance to go with what they heard. At least  JYP ave fans music videos, otherwise, none would've know what these boys looked like. They came out of the darkness of the basement after awhile and now you get to see them on music shows. I'm not going to lie. I liked the mysteriousness of them not doing much promotion. It made them seem like less of a packaged Kpop band. Day6 had their first world tour this year that I didn't know anything about….. To make up for this sad fact, I decided to buy the concert DVD……














   I was a little disappointed when I first saw the venue as I started watching the DVD. The arena looked kind of small from the angle used to film most of the concert. More scenes showing the full venue come latter on in the concert. For this dvd to be called a "World Tour", Why was the concert held in Seoul South Korea? They should have recorded the concert they did in America then made it into a DVD. When I think of the title, "World Tour", I think of places in the world that you haven't been to before. Not a place that is literally right in your backyard(or country). Well, it is what it is but this concert DVD should have been named "Live in Seoul!" instead of labeled under the concept of a world tour that doesn't show non Korean fans at all. I didn't have a reaction to the first half of the concert. It kinda of just was. I did however notice that some of the members where really nervous like this concert was their first concert ever. All the little mistakes they made while performing were evident at least to me. One member ran out of breath in the middle of a song and had to let the audience sing the rest for him. Jae's struggle to speak Korean, which was funny and cute. The concert honestly didn't truly take off for me until "I need somebody". As one of- if not my favorite track by Day6, The whole atmosphere of the concert changed from this song onward. Day6 came across as more in command when they do harder hitting songs so the concert was a great experience during Shoot Me, I'll Wait, How Can I say, etc. I enjoy some of their slower songs such as I Loved You but not as much as their rocker music style. Colors should have been added to the setlist too! I'm a little disappointed that his track was left out. Detail in effects used on the screens while the band was singing certain songs made their performance pop much more. I loved the screen the band was playing behind during "I need somebody". What I learned from watching Day6's first world tour is that Korean people do like Rock music on a mainstream level. The way it's presented to them is very important though. Day6 still has a Kpop boyband image to most Korean people, making their action to add a harder rock song here and there not too strange to digest in South Korea. I also realized even more that I don't like Day6's Kpop sellout songs. I knew this before but now I confirmed it after watching this concert. Everyone has different tastes in music.








   Jae had the most stage presence in my opinion. When he got really into the grove of feel comfortable, Dude became the hype man of the group real quick. It was easy to just watch him the whole concert. Especially during the songs where the band really had to play all out. I might be a bad fan for saying this but I didn't know all of the guys in Day6 sang! I've been thinking for the longest time that only one guy was singing lead. You can heard how different each guy's vocal sounds during live performances. All of the members were entertaining during the speaking part of the concert. They really tried to bring a "I'm just having fun" vibe to the audience. Even if it didn't always connect they way they wanted things to.


No comments:

Post a Comment