Tuesday, August 13, 2019

ChungHa(청하) - Flourishing Mini Album Thoughts(K-pop)






Tracklist:
01. Chica
02. 우리가 즐거워 (Young In Love)
03. Call It Love
04. Flourishing
05. Snapping









   I'm really late to making a post about Chung Ha. I'll admit that I didn't know anything about her until seeing her music video for Snapping. I've been a semi fan of this girl ever since. Snapping is her latest title track to promote her new mini album called Flourishing that came out in June. She was a contestant on the music making program called Producer 101 which I don't watch. I'm not a fan of Korean music reality show as I believe I stated before but I do love some of the artists that came from this show as a result. 




       Chung Ha has released four mini albums to date. The soloist becomes more in-depth to her own lane of artistry with each release she puts out. Most of her mini albums chart high on the Korean music chart making other solo female singers like Heize wonder how the hell another chick come out the woodworks to claim the crown so fast. Chica shows that Chung Ha can be diverse while still flourishing under the normal Kpop marker. Super Junior(like many others) also has dabbled in Spanish influenced sounds recently and ChungHa takes to the style, doing it justice in Korea as well. Her voice really turns bright on the uptempo of the chorus. China also contains a great message written in English along with Korean lyrics for female listeners that need a pick me up. Young Love and Call it Love are tracks that worry me a bit when it comes to ChungHa's career. Being cute is a super popular trend in Korea. One that may female singers think they need to conform to in order to sell. This girl has a cute image naturally but I don't want her music to sound so high pitched dipped in pink cotton candy. Those two songs give me that. Snapping was put at the end of the album for some reason. It should have been right after Chica. This track is the best Chung Ha has to offer on her new effort and you have to go through a few songs to get to hear it. Powered using a fun pop beat filled to the brim with girl powered tones, Snapping brings out all the fun in a listener that a Kpop song should. It has a great start that makes Chungha's vocals feel very attractive before building up to a finish that would make any pop star in the world proud. Flourishing(also a track on the album) acts as an opener for her masterpiece of a track, leading us back to a matureness of the singer. If only the whole album could have been made excluding tracks three and four. I would be just fine. 





       ChungHa still has managed to impress me though. I went back to listen to her Offset mini album and I was glad to see her singing mature songs there too. Rollercoaster could be that one tack that strongly blends cute and mature together for a wonderful result. Rollercoaster has been on constant repeat the last few days on my iPod… Her time in the states can be heard in the way she performs music too. She has a strong vocal that doesn't need much overproduction.







No comments:

Post a Comment