Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Show Lou(罗志祥) - No Idea Album Thoughts(Mandopop)







Tracklist:
1.帥一個

2.不逃

3.Birthday

4.羅志祥

5.No Love
6.你不在

7.U&I

8.NO JOKE

9.我的世代

10.Nobody Can…








   Show Lou is a multitalented singer who does pretty much any  entertainment occupation you can think of. He's acted, hosted on television, modeled, and created his own clothing line. The man was hugely popular back a few years ago. Most people who didn't like Cpop(Mandopop) and leaned toward Kpop still knew of Show Lou's music along with Jay Chou. I'm not sure how popular he is now but I had memories of my youth when I saw he was releasing a new album. After listening to No Idea, I didn't have the energy to write my thoughts in a post right away though…. Here is the reason why. 




   No Idea was the perfect title for mister Lou's new effort. Mostly because neither he or his fans have any idea what this album was suppose to be. I couldn't give you a clear theme for this album if someone was drowning me in a river in Taiwan. All of the rest of his album had a well planned out theme followed by an album that fit that them. No Idea is a signal to me that Lou is out of ideas now that he has been in the game for so long.  The whole album honestly was tiring more than anything. His musical direction feels desperate to stay relevant in a new generation of listeners who might not even know who Show Lou is. Why do singers think that coming out the  golden gate rapping on a pop beat while adding in some autotune makes you sound updated to the current times? Especially when you know you came from a time where you had to dance on the beat and sing well to get people's attention in Taiwan. About two of the track weren't bad out of the whole album which is awful compared to Show Lou standard of past album masterpieces. I just can't get over how underwhelming No Idea was because of the production. Each track was thrown together where Lou's vocals don't seem passionate nor does the track's quality give off the atmosphere of a legend. Having a Show Lou that was a copy of his last album would have been better than this era. At least I would have gotten more than two catchy tracks out of the release. Please fire all of the producers that you worked with on this album and flight to Hong Kong to meet Wang Lee Hom for the next album. Wang seems to know how still stay on top of his music's evolution even as the time changes. Jay Chou had the same problem as Lou however, he learned from his mistake, releasing better music later on. It's time to set fire to the whole No Idea era, Concept look and all. G-O-O-D B-Y-E! 



   No Idea was his worse album vocally too. I got a huge headache each time I tried to return to listen to the compilation of songs. Then I would have to stop, only to come back later no wanting to listen till the end. This happened a couple of times over two weeks until I finally forced myself to gulp down No Idea in one go. Let me tell you, it was not a good experience. I've never pressed skip so much while listening to a Show Lou album in my life. What happened to the spunk that was always in Lou's albums? I guess we will never know. 



  I don't recommend this album to Show Lou's fans much less new listeners. In fact, stay clear of this album altogether. Check out his older albums since there's a lot to choose from.





No comments:

Post a Comment